Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Indices Equations Questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31

    Indices Equations Questions

    Hello there Math master, (I wonder if I could become one later...)

    I have this several questions in which I could not find the answer..I'm stuck.

    If 10^m = 2 and  10^n = 3, find the value of 10^3m-n

    Now I have tried randomly and find out that m = 1/5, but I do not know the proper way how to find m and n respectively. The book said that we need to find the common factor of 10 and 2, but so far I could not find any because the number seems very weird...

    There's also this another question which is nearly the same:

    Given that 3^x = 5 and  3^y = 7, find the value of 3^2x-3y, giving your answer in fraction.

    Thank you for your kind help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    422
    10^m = 2 so cubing (10^m)^3 = 10^{3m} = 2^3 = 8.

    So 10^{3m-n}={10^{3m} \over 10^n}={8\over3}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by maddas View Post
    10^m = 2 so cubing (10^m)^3 = 10^{3m} = 2^3 = 8.

    So 10^{3m-n}={10^{3m} \over 10^n}={8\over3}.
    Thank you for your time answering my question but there are several things I do not comprehend. You're cubing the 10^m but why you're not cubing the 10^n too? Could you explain it a little bit step-by-step?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    422
    Because you were asked for 10^{3m-n}, and not 10^{3m-3n}. Perhaps it would be clearer if I did...

    10^{3m-n} = {10^{3m}\over 10^n} ={10^{m+m+m}\over10^n}= {10^m\cdot10^m\cdot10^m\over10^n} = {2\cdot2\cdot2\over3}=\frac83

    ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by maddas View Post
    Because you were asked for 10^{3m-n}, and not 10^{3m-3n}. Perhaps it would be clearer if I did...

    10^{3m-n} = {10^{3m}\over 10^n} ={10^{m+m+m}\over10^n}= {10^m\cdot10^m\cdot10^m\over10^n} = {2\cdot2\cdot2\over3}=\frac83

    ?
    Ok I got it, so would this be correct: (the second question I posted in the first post)

    square 3^x = 5 so that we got 3^2x = 25
    cube 3^y = 7 so that we got 3^3y = 343

    ultimately we have 25/344?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor harish21's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    From
    Dirty South
    Posts
    1,036
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lites View Post
    Ok I got it, so would this be correct: (the second question I posted in the first post)

    square 3^x = 5 so that we got 3^2x = 25
    cube 3^y = 7 so that we got 3^3y = 343

    ultimately we have 25/344 may be a typo!
    yes. \frac{25}{343}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Exponent Equations (Laws of Indices)
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 17th 2010, 09:32 AM
  2. Some confusion over some indices questions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 16th 2009, 06:37 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 22nd 2008, 08:53 AM
  4. Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 24th 2007, 11:15 AM
  5. Different questions about Equations
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th 2006, 12:28 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum