Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Need help transposing an equation!!

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2

    Need help transposing an equation!!

    Hi there,

    I need help transposing the equation for electrical resonance.

    The equation is f = 1 / 2*pi * squareroot of L*C

    I need to make C the subject, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    USA
    Posts
    3,111
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nleadbet View Post
    The equation is f = 1 / 2*pi * squareroot of L*C
    1) Multiply by 2
    2) Divide by \pi
    3) Square, and remember that L*C > 0
    4) Divide by L

    I need to know why you were struggling with this.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member Bacterius's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Wellington
    Posts
    927
    Now this is ambigious. Pick the right one :

    f = \frac{1}{2} x \pi x \sqrt{L(x) C}

    f = \frac{1}{2} x Pi(x) \sqrt{L(x) C}

    f = \frac{1}{2x} \pi x \sqrt{L(x) C}

    f = \frac{1}{2x} Pi(x) \sqrt{L(x) C}

    Or just edit your post with the right one. Use the [tex] tags to write it in LaTeX with the pretty symbols and all.

    EDIT : ah you edited it somehow before I posted. Well, as TkHunny said, just use division/multiplication/squares to put this in order
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    USA
    Posts
    3,111
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by nleadbet View Post
    Hi there,

    I need help transposing the equation for electrical resonance.

    The equation is f = 1 / 2*pi * squareroot of L*C

    I need to make C the subject, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ...or is it \frac{1}{2\pi}\sqrt{L\cdot C}?

    The very first thing would be to write carefully so that you can communicate.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    56
    Is C part of the radical or not? Also, is everything after the / sign in the denominator or is it (1/2)(pi*...)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    From the actual question we get

    \omega = 2 \pi f = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}

    Manipulating to get f we get the original question

    f = \frac{1}{2\pi \sqrt{LC}}

    Multiply by 2\pi
    <br /> <br />
2\pi f = \sqrt{LC}<br />
    Square both sides, then divide by L

    C = 4 \pi ^2 \cdot \left(\frac{f^2}{L}\right)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by e^(i*pi) View Post
    From the actual question we get

    \omega = 2 \pi f = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}

    Manipulating to get f we get the original question

    f = \frac{1}{2\pi \sqrt{LC}}

    Multiply by 2\pi
    <br /> <br />
2\pi f = \sqrt{LC}<br />
    Square both sides, then divide by L

    C = 4 \pi ^2 \cdot \left(\frac{f^2}{L}\right)
    Thanks alot for all your help, its been a good 20 years sonce I've done any algebra!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 15th 2012, 10:57 AM
  2. transposing a sqrt
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 24th 2011, 06:15 AM
  3. Transposing Formula
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 5th 2008, 07:42 AM
  4. help with transposing
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 11th 2008, 04:26 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 27th 2007, 04:10 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum