Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - coordinates

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7

    coordinates

    http://www.emaths.co.uk/sats/2009/2009_68_Paper1.pdf

    please go to question 24 and help me answer
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member mathemagister's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by coolubi View Post
    http://www.emaths.co.uk/sats/2009/2009_68_Paper1.pdf

    please go to question 24 and help me answer
    This looks a lot like a test, so here is just a hint:
    Notice they have told you the two equations you need to deal with. You have 2 variables and 2 equations. Do you know how to solve simultaneous equations? When you solve for x and y, make sure you pair up the right numbers with each other for the 2 points.

    Feel free to ask if you need any more help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mathemagister View Post
    This looks a lot like a test, so here is just a hint:
    Notice they have told you the two equations you need to deal with. You have 2 variables and 2 equations. Do you know how to solve simultaneous equations? When you solve for x and y, make sure you pair up the right numbers with each other for the 2 points.

    Feel free to ask if you need any more help.

    pls could you help me a little more as i am new to it(help with some working out) and only have one more week to my exam thanx
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member mathemagister's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by coolubi View Post
    pls could you help me a little more as i am new to it(help with some working out) and only have one more week to my exam thanx
    The information tells you that at the points A and B, [b]both[/both] the equations y=x-2 and y=x^2-2 are correct for the same x and y values.

    So, to solve for the intercepts, you need to simultaneously solve the equations
    y=x-2 and y=x^2-2.

    You know that y=x-2, so anywhere you see a y, you are allowed to substitute it for x-2 because they are both the same thing. (Think of it like if you know 3=5-2, you can put 5-2 wherever you see a 3.

    Well, you see a y in the second equation; you can substitute that y for something else that equals it: x-2.

    This gives you:
    x-2=x^2-2

    x=x^2

    x-x^2=0

    x(1-x)=0

    x=0 and 1-x=0
    x=0,1

    to find the y value for these points simply plug them into one of the original equations:
    y=x-2
    y(0) = 0 - 2 = -2
    y(1) = 1 - 2 = -1

    These give you the points (0,-2) and (1,-1).

    Since you can see on the graph that point A lies on the y-axis (where x is always 0), you know that point A is (0,-2) and point B has to therefore be (1,-1).

    Hope that helps
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 28th 2011, 11:40 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 24th 2010, 05:33 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 30th 2010, 04:34 PM
  4. Covert Cartesian coordinates eq. into Cylindrical coordinates
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 6th 2010, 07:56 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 4th 2009, 01:12 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum