Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Stuck

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122

    Stuck

    I am way stuck on trying to perform the indicated operations and simplify this expression: ( 6r^2 - 7r - 3)/( r^2 - 1) divided by (4r^2 - 12r +9) /( r^2 - 1) . (2r^2 - r -3/ 3r^2 - 2r -1) ????
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    I am way stuck on trying to perform the indicated operations and simplify this expression: ( 6r^2 - 7r - 3)/( r^2 - 1) divided by (4r^2 - 12r +9) /( r^2 - 1) . (2r^2 - r -3/ 3r^2 - 2r -1) ????
    Hi jay1,

    \frac{6r^2-7r-3}{r^2-1} \div \frac{4r^2-12r+9}{r^2-1} \cdot \frac{2r^2-r-3}{3r^2-2r-1}

    First, invert the divisor and multiply and cancel out the r^2-1 terms.

    Next, factor all you can and simplify. Let's see what you can do!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi jay1,

    \frac{6r^2-7r-3}{r^2-1} \div \frac{4r^2-12r+9}{r^2-1} \cdot \frac{2r^2-r-3}{3r^2-2r-1}

    First, invert the divisor and multiply and cancel out the r^2-1 terms.

    Next, factor all you can and simplify. Let's see what you can do!
    Is it r-1/r+1??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    Does my answer in the reply look correct?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member bigwave's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    honolulu
    Posts
    580
    \frac{(2r-3)(3r+1)}{(2r-3)^2}\ \frac{(r+1)(2r-3)}{(r-1)(3r+1)}<br />
= \frac{(r+1)}{(r-1)}

    as masters suggested you may not of inverted the divide
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    When I divide this expression, I'm coming up with a remainder. Is that right? The expression is 27z + 23z^2 + 6z^3 divided by 2z + 3
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    When I divide this expression, I'm coming up with a remainder. Is that right? The expression is 27z + 23z^2 + 6z^3 divided by 2z + 3
    (6z^3+23z^2+27z) \div (2z+3)

    Use polynomial long division.

    3z^2+7z+\frac{6z}{2z+3}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. stuck with sin^4(x)
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 24th 2009, 04:56 PM
  2. Stuck on a Log :(
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 21st 2008, 12:10 PM
  3. somebody help me plz im so stuck
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 30th 2007, 11:43 AM
  4. stuck
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: September 4th 2007, 07:13 AM
  5. Stuck, Stuck, Stuck - Need Help Urgently
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 17th 2005, 05:46 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum