Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Relative velocity questions

  1. #1
    Soy
    Soy is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5

    Relative velocity questions

    1. A small plane flying into the wind takes 3 h 20 min to complete a flight of 960 Km. Flying with the wind, the same plane takes 2 h 30 min to make the trip. What is the speed of the wind? What is the speed of the plane?
    2. A hovercraft travels over flat land at 40 km/h and over rough water at 10 km/h. If it takes 5.75 h to travel over 185 km, then how far did it travel over land, and water.
    3. In a white water relay race, one kayak team averaged 26 km/h downstream, but only 6 km/h upstream in the white water course. What was the rate of the kayak in still water? What was the rate of the current?
    Last edited by mr fantastic; January 18th 2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Changed post title
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    1. A small plane flying into the wind takes 3 h 20 min to complete a flight of 960 Km. Flying with the wind, the same plane takes 2 h 30 min to make the trip. What is the speed of the wind? What is the speed of the plane?
    2. A hovercraft travels over flat land at 40 km/h and over rough water at 10 km/h. If it takes 5.75 h to travel over 185 km, then how far did it travel over land, and water.
    3. In a white water relay race, one kayak team averaged 26 km/h downstream, but only 6 km/h upstream in the white water course. What was the rate of the kayak in still water? What was the rate of the current?
    What have tried here? where do you get stuck? Can you show any work so that we can identify your mistakes?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Soy
    Soy is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    What have tried here? where do you get stuck? Can you show any work so that we can identify your mistakes?
    i understand none of it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    i understand none of it.
    Then I recommend you speak to your professor and see what can be done to withdrawl from the course. This is a hard reality to face, but it is a reality all the same.
    Last edited by VonNemo19; January 18th 2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Soy
    Soy is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    Then I recommend you speak to your professor and see what can be done to withdrawl from the course. This is a hard reality to face, but it is a reality all the same.
    Can you at least try to help me?!
    Last edited by Jameson; January 18th 2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    Can you at least try to help me?!
    Tell me where I should begin.

    With algebra? Word problems? Physical principals?

    You should not be angry with me right now. Just tell me what the trouble is. Is this a homework assignment?

    I will say that each problem involves the relationship: d=rt
    Last edited by Jameson; January 18th 2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate phrase from quote
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Soy View Post
    Can you at least try to help me?!
    If you understand none of the problem then in most cases we won't be able to help you because teaching a new topic takes a lot of time, typing and patience. Also you should only post 1 problem per thread and try to show some work. If you can't do anything, post your thoughts on what you get stuck on.

    Relative velocity in two dimensions is all about giving each vector a direction. If the two vectors (like wind velocity and plane velocity) go in the same direction, then the individual velocities are added. If they go in opposite directions they are subtracted and go in the direction of the larger vector.

    Also use:

    Distance = Rate x Time

    That's the info you need to use but again we can't teach you, only help you.
    Last edited by mr fantastic; January 19th 2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Edited quote.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. relative velocity
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 26th 2014, 07:32 AM
  2. Relative Velocity
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 4th 2011, 06:32 PM
  3. Vectors and relative velocity.
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 3rd 2011, 10:44 AM
  4. Physics with Relative Velocity
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 9th 2011, 12:45 PM
  5. relative velocity
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 13th 2008, 10:23 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum