Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Correct answer?

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122

    Correct answer?

    I want to make sure that I am on the right track with these inequalities. I cannot figure how to type the mathmatical symbols in the text, so I've typed words instead in some cases. Thanks for the help!

    1) The set notation for the inequality: 1/4y - 1/3 < y + 2 = ? ( I've come up with {y|y > -28/9} is this right?

    2) The set notation for the inequality: 3 is less than or equal to 4 + 3x/2 is less than or equal to 2. Is the answer 0??

    3) 4 < -z -4 < 11; I come up with: {z|-8 > z >-15} Is this right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    I want to make sure that I am on the right track with these inequalities. I cannot figure how to type the mathmatical symbols in the text, so I've typed words instead in some cases. Thanks for the help!

    1) The set notation for the inequality: 1/4y - 1/3 < y + 2 = ? ( I've come up with {y|y > -28/9} is this right? Correct

    2) The set notation for the inequality: 3 is less than or equal to 4 + 3x/2 is less than or equal to 2. Is the answer 0?? 3 less or equal 2?! sounds like the null set. Are you sure that you copied this correctly?

    3) 4 < -z -4 < 11; I come up with: {z|-8 > z >-15} Is this right? Correct.
    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    Here's the inequality again: 3 is less than or equal to 4 + 3x/2 is less than or equal to 2. I need the result of this in set notation. My assumption is the answer is 0, but I could be wrong?
    (I couldn't type the symbol for less than or equal to, hence typing the words)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    Here's the inequality again: 3 is less than or equal to 4 + 3x/2 is less than or equal to 2. I need the result of this in set notation. My assumption is the answer is 0, but I could be wrong?
    (I couldn't type the symbol for less than or equal to, hence typing the words)
    Yes, you are wrong. This is because you are not looking for a single solution, but the set of all solutions. 0 is a solution. I think that you mean to say that there is no solution.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    Yes, that is what I meant, no solution. Is the answer no solution?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by jay1 View Post
    Yes, that is what I meant, no solution. Is the answer no solution?
    Yes, but how would you describe "no solution" in set builder notation?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    122
    Thanks for all of the help; I am having trouble graphing some of these. For example, how do I graph the solution set of x + 2y is less than or equal to 3, and x + 2y is less than or equal to 4?
    How do I graph the inequality 3x is less than or equal to -4y - 4?? Are these lines graphed horizontally or diagonally?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 29th 2011, 01:39 AM
  2. Have I gotten to the correct answer?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 2nd 2010, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 4th 2010, 04:46 PM
  4. Is my answer correct?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 18th 2010, 05:50 AM
  5. I think I have the correct answer...
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 6th 2008, 08:53 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum