Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Factor/Remainder theorem

  1. #1
    Newbie s2951's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    LaLaLAND :D
    Posts
    13

    Factor/Remainder theorem

    (x-3) is the Factor of f(x) 4x^2-7x-15
    Help me is this correct of finding the other factor?
    f(x)=l(x)q(x)+R
    f(x)=(x-3)(4x+ax+5)+0
    f(x)=x(4x+ax+5)-3(4x+ax+5)
    f(x)=4x^2+ax^2+5x-12x-3ax-15
    f(x)=(ax+5)=0 (12-3ax)=0
    ax=-5 ax=4
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    184
    Thanks
    1
    Since (x-3) is a factor,
    so f(x)=(x-3)(Ax+B)
    Thus 4x^{2}-7x-15=(x-3)(Ax+B)
    By comparison, A=4,B=-5
    Hence, f(x)=(x-3)(4x+5)

    Anyway, you can get the two factors by the method Cross Multiplication for the quadratic expression, that will be faster.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie s2951's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    LaLaLAND :D
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by acc100jt View Post
    Since (x-3) is a factor,
    so f(x)=(x-3)(Ax+B)
    Thus 4x^{2}-7x-15=(x-3)(Ax+B)
    By comparison, A=4,B=-5
    Hence, f(x)=(x-3)(4x+5)

    Anyway, you can get the two factors by the method Cross Multiplication for the quadratic expression, that will be faster.
    Ok, then how you get (4x+5) ?
    Last edited by s2951; December 2nd 2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Hello s2951
    Quote Originally Posted by s2951 View Post
    Ok, then how you get (4x+5) ?
    Quote Originally Posted by s2951 View Post
    (x-3) is the Factor of f(x) 4x^2-7x-15
    Help me is this correct of finding the other factor?
    f(x)=l(x)q(x)+R
    f(x)=(x-3)(4x+ax+5)+0
    f(x)=x(4x+ax+5)-3(4x+ax+5)
    f(x)=4x^2+ax^2+5x-12x-3ax-15
    f(x)=(ax+5)=0 (12-3ax)=0
    ax=-5 ax=4
    I'm not sure where you get the term ax in the line that I've indicated. When you divide 4x^2-7x-15 by x-3, the result is simply 4x+5.

    If I may expand on acc100jt's solution a little:

    If 4x^2-7x-15=(x-3)(Ax+B), then when we multiply out the RHS we get:
    4x^2-7x-15=Ax^2+(B-3A)x -3B
    So, when we compare coefficients:
    the coefficient of x^2:4 = A
    and
    the constant term: -15 = -3B \Rightarrow B = 5
    Check with the coefficient of x:
    B-3A = 5 -12 = -7, which is correct
    So the other factor is Ax+B = 4x+5

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie s2951's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    LaLaLAND :D
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
    Hello s2951

    I'm not sure where you get the term ax in the line that I've indicated. When you divide 4x^2-7x-15 by x-3, the result is simply 4x+5.

    If I may expand on acc100jt's solution a little:

    If 4x^2-7x-15=(x-3)(Ax+B), then when we multiply out the RHS we get:
    4x^2-7x-15=Ax^2+(B-3A)x -3B
    So, when we compare coefficients:
    the coefficient of x^2:4 = A
    and
    the constant term: -15 = -3B \Rightarrow B = 5
    Check with the coefficient of x:
    B-3A = 5 -12 = -7, which is correct
    So the other factor is Ax+B = 4x+5

    Grandad
    Thanks, just solved and its correct. The letter "A" is just symbol to find the value, its redundant.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    From
    Africa
    Posts
    641

    Smile

    Here's another way,since (x-3) is a factor, -3 is a root.
    We can do the following,
    f(x)-f(-3)= 4x^2-7x-15-4(-3)^{2}+7\times3+15 =4(x^2-(-3)^2)-7(x-1)=4(x+3)(x-3)-7(x-3)=(x-3)(4x+5)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Hello Raoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoh View Post
    Here's another way,since (x-3) is a factor, -3 is a root.
    We can do the following,
    f(x)-f(-3)= 4x^2-7x-15-4(-3)^{2}+7\times3+15 =4(x^2-(-3)^2)-7(x-1)=4(x+3)(x-3)-7(x-3)=(x-3)(4x+5)
    I think what you mean is:
    Since (x-3) is a factor, +3 is a root \Rightarrow f(3)=0
    So:
    f(x) = f(x) - f(3) = 4(x^2-3^2) - 7(x-3) -(15-15)
    =4(x+3)(x-3) -7(x-3)

    =(4x+12)(x-3) -7(x-3)

    =(4x+12-7)(x-3)

    =(4x+5)(x-3)
    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    From
    Africa
    Posts
    641

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Grandad View Post
    Hello RaohI think what you mean is:
    Since (x-3) is a factor, +3 is a root \Rightarrow f(3)=0
    So:
    f(x) = f(x) - f(3) = 4(x^2-3^2) - 7(x-3) -(15-15)
    =4(x+3)(x-3) -7(x-3)

    =(4x+12)(x-3) -7(x-3)

    =(4x+12-7)(x-3)

    =(4x+5)(x-3)
    Grandad
    indeed,my mistake.
    thanks "Grandad".
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Factor & Remainder Theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 29th 2009, 04:33 AM
  2. remainder & factor theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 24th 2009, 07:17 AM
  3. Factor and remainder theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 27th 2009, 11:47 PM
  4. Remainder and Factor Theorem HELP
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 20th 2008, 12:37 PM
  5. Remainder and Factor Theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 21st 2007, 06:00 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum