Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Calculating Percents

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15

    Calculating Percents

    Hello,

    I'm just having some problems understanding how to solve some questions involving percentage. I would like some clarification on what to do -- not the answer, if you don't mind! I believe this falls into Grade 9 Academic or Applied Math. As of right now, I have some sort of a math block in my mind -- I'm not understanding most of the questions unless I have an example to follow it.

    The questions are:

    11. Calculate each amount.

    a) the amount of sugar in 200 g of a 14% sugar IV drip

    My thought: (I thought of dividing 200 by .14 to get the answer but.. I'm not sure if that's what it's trying to ask me).

    b) the amount of interest owed at the end of a month on an outstanding balance of $3500 on a credit card if the company charges 1.5% per month.

    My thought: I think I understand this one but I want to make sure.


    1.5 % = 0.015
    3500 x 0.015 = 52.5
    3500 + 52.5 = 3552.5

    Therefore, the amount of interest owed at the end of a month of an outstanding balance of $3500 on a credit card is $3552.50
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    11
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryChan View Post
    Hello,

    I'm just having some problems understanding how to solve some questions involving percentage. I would like some clarification on what to do -- not the answer, if you don't mind! I believe this falls into Grade 9 Academic or Applied Math. As of right now, I have some sort of a math block in my mind -- I'm not understanding most of the questions unless I have an example to follow it.

    The questions are:

    11. Calculate each amount.

    a) the amount of sugar in 200 g of a 14% sugar IV drip

    My thought: (I thought of dividing 200 by .14 to get the answer but.. I'm not sure if that's what it's trying to ask me).
    Hi IvoryChan,

    You should multiple here, not divide. Multiply by .14
    Quote Originally Posted by IvoryChan View Post
    b) the amount of interest owed at the end of a month on an outstanding balance of $3500 on a credit card if the company charges 1.5% per month.

    My thought: I think I understand this one but I want to make sure.


    1.5 % = 0.015
    3500 x 0.015 = 52.5
    3500 + 52.5 = 3552.5

    Therefore, the amount of interest owed at the end of a month of an outstanding balance of $3500 on a credit card is $3552.50
    You are mostly right, except for your wording. The actual interest would be $52.50. This answers the question.

    You went ahead and found the total amount at the end of the month which is the principal + interest.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    147
    Thanks
    1
    a) the amount of sugar in 200 g of a 14% sugar IV drip
    200 x 14%

    b) the amount of interest owed at the end of a month on an outstanding balance of $3500 on a credit card if the company charges 1.5% per month.
    The question is about the amount of interest which is:
    3500 x 1.5% = 52.5
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi IvoryChan,

    You should multiple here, not divide. Multiply by .14


    You are mostly right, except for your wording. The actual interest would be $52.50. This answers the question.

    You went ahead and found the total amount at the end of the month which is the principal + interest.
    Oh okay!
    I think I understand now.

    They were only asking for how much of the interest alone, and not the total?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. percents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 17th 2010, 11:36 AM
  2. percents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 12th 2010, 02:07 PM
  3. Percents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th 2010, 02:54 AM
  4. percents..
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 8th 2008, 12:38 AM
  5. percents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 11th 2008, 05:54 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum