Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Currency Conversion Question

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7

    Currency Conversion Question

    Hi all,

    I thought this was a basic question, but can not get the right answer.

    Ive ended up going around in circles to the point where my logic is all fuzzy so hopefully someone here can help.

    So im given this chart:



    And asked:

    If you had 120 dollars and 322 euro, how many Yen could you buy?

    I tried this:

    Using the 'Ringit' currency ive assumed:

    3.25 dollars = 0.03Yen
    5.08 euro = 0.03Yen

    Purchased Yen for Dollars = (120/3.25) x 0.03 = 1.108
    Purchased Yen for Euros = (322/5.08) x 0.03 = 1.902

    Total Yen purchasable = 1.108 + 1.902 = 3.01

    However the correct answer is 67, 574 - miles from my attempt.

    Where am i going wrong?

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by jack2010 View Post
    Hi all,

    I thought this was a basic question, but can not get the right answer.

    Ive ended up going around in circles to the point where my logic is all fuzzy so hopefully someone here can help.

    So im given this chart:



    And asked:

    If you had 120 dollars and 322 euro, how many Yen could you buy?

    I tried this:

    Using the 'Ringit' currency ive assumed:

    3.25 dollars = 0.03Yen
    5.08 euro = 0.03Yen

    Purchased Yen for Dollars = (120/3.25) x 0.03 = 1.108
    Purchased Yen for Euros = (322/5.08) x 0.03 = 1.902

    Total Yen purchasable = 1.108 + 1.902 = 3.01

    However the correct answer is 67, 574 - miles from my attempt.

    Where am i going wrong?

    Thanks
    Convert all the given sums into Rupees and afterwards into Yen:

    \$120+322E  = \dfrac{\$120 \cdot 42.275 \frac{R}{\$}+322 E \cdot 66.09 \frac{R}{E}}{0.39\frac{R}{Y}} which will yield exactly the given result.

    (The E means . Unfortunatly the LaTex doesn't take this specific keyboard code)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    7
    Wow, my logic really had taken a day off!

    Many thanks for that Earboth, makes complete sense.

    Ive got plenty more where that came from so no doubt will be back in the near future!

    Thanks again.

    Jack
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by earboth View Post
    Convert all the given sums into Rupees and afterwards into Yen:

    \$120+322E  = \dfrac{\$120 \cdot 42.275 \frac{R}{\$}+322 E \cdot 66.09 \frac{R}{E}}{0.39\frac{R}{Y}} which will yield exactly the given result.

    (The E means . Unfortunatly the LaTex doesn't take this specific keyboard code)
    I must be completely dumb, I still don't get this at all. I also get the 3.007 every time. Could you break down the workings to your equation and really spell out what happens so I can see how the 67574 is reached. I must have spent nearly 1 hour trying to get this right. Really appreciate your help many thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,830
    Thanks
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by wil335 View Post
    I must be completely dumb, I still don't get this at all. I also get the 3.007 every time. Could you break down the workings to your equation and really spell out what happens so I can see how the 67574 is reached. I must have spent nearly 1 hour trying to get this right. Really appreciate your help many thanks
    I am very interested to learn how you calculated the Yen value. Please publish your calculations so we can have a look at them - and maybe we are able to show you if and where you've made a mistake.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. conversion question
    Posted in the Calculators Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 23rd 2011, 11:03 AM
  2. Lambda Conversion (alpha and beta conversion)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 19th 2011, 03:12 AM
  3. Way to find variance between 2 currency pairs.
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 23rd 2010, 04:44 AM
  4. LINGO Question Currency Conversion
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 15th 2009, 04:46 PM
  5. currency exchange problem
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th 2005, 10:09 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum