Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Celsius to Fahrenheit

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    51
    Awards
    1

    Celsius to Fahrenheit

    I am assuming I can use some of the same information from my velocity of a bullet question for this since this is also a linear equation, correct?

    Water freezes at 0C or 32F and boils at 100C or 212F. There is a linear equation that expresses the number of degrees Fahrenheit (F) in terms of the number of degrees Celsius (C). Find the equation and find the Fahrenheit temperature when the Celsius temperature is 45.



    Last edited by dkpeppard; November 5th 2009 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    I am assuming I can use some of the same information from my velocity of a bullet question for this since this is also a linear equation, correct?

    Water freezes at 0C or 32F and boils at 100C or 212F. There is a linear equation that expresses the number of degrees Fahrenheit (F) in terms of the number of degrees Celsius (C). Find the equation and find the Fahrenheit temperature when the Celsius temperature is 45.


    Hi dkpeppard,

    Here's what you need:

    F=\frac{9}{5}C+32

    I'm sorry. I guess you were needing to discover the formula. Okay then. Find the slope using your two points.

    Substitute the slope and (0, 32) into y = mx + b to find the y-intercept. Then you'll arrive at the above formula.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    51
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi dkpeppard,

    Here's what you need:

    F=\frac{9}{5}C+32

    I'm sorry. I guess you were needing to discover the formula. Okay then. Find the slope using your two points.

    Substitute the slope and (0, 32) into y = mx + b to find the y-intercept. Then you'll arrive at the above formula.
    Thank you for the quick response.

    I will review this formula and plug it into my problem to find the Fahrenheit when Celsius = 45.

    Thanks again for the quick response.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    51
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    Hi dkpeppard,

    Here's what you need:

    F=\frac{9}{5}C+32

    I'm sorry. I guess you were needing to discover the formula. Okay then. Find the slope using your two points.

    Substitute the slope and (0, 32) into y = mx + b to find the y-intercept. Then you'll arrive at the above formula.
    Again, many thanks.

    So, in working out the problem, this is what I found:
    Using F=\frac{9}{5}C+32, I need to find out F if C is 45.

    So, F=\frac{9}{5}(45)+32 = 113

    F is 113 if C is 45.

    Would you agree?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpeppard View Post
    Again, many thanks.

    So, in working out the problem, this is what I found:
    Using F=\frac{9}{5}C+32, I need to find out F if C is 45.

    So, F=\frac{9}{5}(45)+32 = 113

    F is 113 if C is 45.

    Would you agree?
    It would seem so. Good job!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    51
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by masters View Post
    It would seem so. Good job!
    Thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. -4 degree Celsius
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 21st 2010, 09:31 AM
  2. Fahrenheit and Celsius conversion
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 11th 2009, 07:24 PM
  3. Changing Farenhiet into a celsius
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 21st 2008, 05:15 AM
  4. Standard Deviation - fahrenheit to celsius
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 22nd 2007, 03:32 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum