Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - mathproblem x x^2

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4

    mathproblem x x^2

    Hi,

    I have the following problem, does anybody know how to solve it?

    A man is x years old and the year is x^2.
    He dies 1971, when is he born?

    I.e.
    x = present age
    x^2 = present year
    1971 = the year he dies

    When is he born?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    From
    Israel
    Posts
    976
    Well, simply look for the closest square number smaller than 1971. Then the square root of that + (1971 - year) is what you're looking for.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    I'm not sure what you mean..

    MISSTAKE:

    It should be 1871 NOT 1971!!

    Btw, I have the answer for x but I don't know how to solve the problem as a whole.

    So, x = 43 and x^2 is therefore 1849

    And as I said it's 1871
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by matte View Post
    Hi,
    I have the following problem, does anybody know how to solve it?
    A man is x years old and the year is x^2.
    He dies 1971, when is he born?
    I.e.
    x = present age
    x^2 = present year
    1971 = the year he dies
    When is he born?
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by matte View Post
    MISSTAKE:
    It should be 1871 NOT 1971!!
    Btw, I have the answer for x but I don't know how to solve the problem as a whole.
    So, x = 43 and x^2 is therefore 1849
    And as I said it's 1871
    ...
    Quote Originally Posted by matte View Post
    Please help me solve the equation!
    Try this:
    In the year 1849, the person was 43 years of age.
    1849 - 43 = YearOfBirth

    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    ...
    ...

    Try this:
    In the year 1849, the person was 43 years of age.
    1849 - 43 = YearOfBirth

    .

    Thanks but this doesn't help, because the x is actually unknown!
    I.e. I only know the x because it says so in the key.

    But IF i don't have the key, how do I SOLVE?

    The problem again:

    A man finds out that the present year is the his present age raised to the second power. This man dies in 1871, but when is he born?

    x = age
    x^2 = year
    Dies in 1871
    When is he born?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by matte View Post
    Thanks but this doesn't help, because the x is actually unknown!
    I.e. I only know the x because it says so in the key.

    But IF i don't have the key, how do I SOLVE?

    The problem again:

    A man finds out that the present year is the his present age raised to the second power. This man dies in 1871, but when is he born?

    x = age
    x^2 = year
    Dies in 1871
    When is he born?
    Defunkt provided the key to the solution.

    Since the person died in 1871, he was born BEFORE 1871.

    Suppose the person was 35 years of age in the year 1225 (=35^2)
    That means he was six hundred some years old when he died.
    Probably not the case.

    Try x=40
    40^2 = 1600. DOB: 1600 - 40 = 1560; death 1871; age 311
    x=41
    41^2 = 1681. DOB: 1681 - 41 = 1640; death 1871; age 231
    x=42
    42^2 = 1764. DOB: 1764 - 42 = 1722; death 1871; age 149
    x=43
    43^2 = 1849. DOB: 1849 - 43 = 1806; death 1871; age 65
    x=44
    44^2 = 1936. DOB: 1936 - 44 = 1892; death 1871; age -21 (that's a negative 21)

    Does that help?

    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by aidan View Post
    Defunkt provided the key to the solution.

    Since the person died in 1871, he was born BEFORE 1871.

    Suppose the person was 35 years of age in the year 1225 (=35^2)
    That means he was six hundred some years old when he died.
    Probably not the case.

    Try x=40
    40^2 = 1600. DOB: 1600 - 40 = 1560; death 1871; age 311
    x=41
    41^2 = 1681. DOB: 1681 - 41 = 1640; death 1871; age 231
    x=42
    42^2 = 1764. DOB: 1764 - 42 = 1722; death 1871; age 149
    x=43
    43^2 = 1849. DOB: 1849 - 43 = 1806; death 1871; age 65
    x=44
    44^2 = 1936. DOB: 1936 - 44 = 1892; death 1871; age -21 (that's a negative 21)

    Does that help?

    .


    Aha, by trying! That helps very much - thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. some serious mathproblem i need help with, sinusoidal spiral etc
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 6th 2009, 03:39 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum