Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - factorize expression

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300

    factorize expression

    Hi could someone please tell me if these are correct
    Factorise the following
    (a)
    x^2 + 6x quadratic expression
    x(x+6)

    (b)
    4x^3 - 8x
    4x(x^2 -2) cubic expression
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    Hi could someone please tell me if these are correct
    Factorise the following
    (a)
    x^2 + 6x quadratic expression
    x(x+6)

    (b)
    4x^3 - 8x
    4x(x^2 -2) cubic expression
    They are correct, but depending on what you are expected to do the second one can be further factorised since (x^2-2)=(x-\sqrt{2})(x+\sqrt{2})

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    They are correct, but depending on what you are expected to do the second one can be further factorised since (x-\sqrt{2})(x+\sqrt{2})

    CB
    thanks but do I keep the 4x infront of the (x-\sqrt{2})(x+\sqrt{2})
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    thanks but do I keep the 4x infront of the (x-\sqrt{2})(x+\sqrt{2})
    Of course you do.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Of course you do.
    of course I will indeed.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. how would you factorize?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 5th 2012, 07:10 PM
  2. How to factorize 4z^2 -4z+17 Over C?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 29th 2011, 11:02 AM
  3. factorize help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 19th 2008, 11:56 PM
  4. factorize help
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 19th 2008, 09:13 PM
  5. Factorize the following expression.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 28th 2008, 12:18 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum