Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - factoring trinomials by grouping

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10

    factoring trinomials by grouping

    im having some trouble with these, heres an example of a problem...

    3q^2+4q-4

    sorry i have to ask on here, my math teacher is the worse math teacher in the world and never explains to us how to do anything, she just expects everyone to already know it. when we ask for help she says if you have to ask then you dont understand and if you dont understand you shouldnt be in her class.

    thanks for the help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by formex View Post
    im having some trouble with these, heres an example of a problem...

    3q^2+4q-4

    sorry i have to ask on here, my math teacher is the worse math teacher in the world and never explains to us how to do anything, she just expects everyone to already know it. when we ask for help she says if you have to ask then you dont understand and if you dont understand you shouldnt be in her class.

    thanks for the help
    3q^2 + 6q - 2q - 4 = (3q^2 + 6q) - (2q + 4) = 3q{\color{red}(q + 2)} - 2{\color{red}(q + 2)} = {\color{red}(q + 2)} (3q - 2).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    3q^2 + 6q - 2q - 4 = (3q^2 + 6q) - (2q + 4) = 3q{\color{red}(q + 2)} - 2{\color{red}(q + 2)} = {\color{red}(q + 2)} (3q - 2).
    thanks a lot man.. the thing is though im having troubles understanding it, so do u mind if i ask u a few questions on how you got your answer?

    ok, where did the 6q come from? also, how did 2 get a q beside it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by formex View Post
    thanks a lot man.. the thing is though im having troubles understanding it, so do u mind if i ask u a few questions on how you got your answer?

    ok, where did the 6q come from? also, how did 2 get a q beside it?
    Read this: Algebra Help - Factoring a Quadratic Trinomial by Grouping
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10
    ahh, excellent man, awesome link, thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10
    there wouldn't happen to be a formula to finding out the common monomial would there?

    for example, if the problem was like this

    9v^2 + 5v - 4
    (9)(-4)=-36

    i'd then need a set of integers that's sum is 5 and product is -36, which is sometimes difficult to find. is there a formula you can use to get the common integers? thanks again
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by formex View Post
    there wouldn't happen to be a formula to finding out the common monomial would there?

    for example, if the problem was like this

    9v^2 + 5v - 4
    (9)(-4)=-36

    i'd then need a set of integers that's sum is 5 and product is -36, which is sometimes difficult to find. is there a formula you can use to get the common integers? thanks again
    There isn't really a shortcut - it just comes with practice. 3v * 3v will not work with -2*2 because it will be the difference of two squares.
    As 5 > 0 it follows that the minus sign will go next to the 9v giving

    (9v-4)(v+1)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Factoring by grouping
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 8th 2011, 10:59 AM
  2. Trinomials, factoring, grouping
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 1st 2009, 01:18 PM
  3. Factoring by Grouping
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 17th 2006, 06:45 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 6th 2006, 12:02 AM
  5. Factoring By Grouping..
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 28th 2006, 02:21 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum