Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - write an equation to represent infromation

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300

    write an equation to represent infromation

    Jack is 5 years older than jill,the product of their ages is 500,
    write an equation to represent this information (let x be jills age..so find x jills age)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    New Delhi
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    Jack is 5 years older than jill,the product of their ages is 500,
    write an equation to represent this information (let x be jills age..so find x jills age)
     jill's \ age = x
     Jack\ is\ 5\ years\ older\ than\ jill\ ,\ therefore\ jack'\ age = x+5
     according\ to\ question\ ,\ product\ of \ their\ ages\ is\ 500
    therefore\ \\  x \times (x+5) = 500
     \ x^2+ 5x - 500 = 0
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300
    Hi,thanks for your reply,
    but I still need to find what age jill is?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    Hi,thanks for your reply,
    but I still need to find what age jill is?
    It's expected that you attempt to solve the equation you were given. If you can't, please show what you tried and say where you get stuck.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    It's expected that you attempt to solve the equation you were given. If you can't, please show what you tried and say where you get stuck.
    Hi,I can not get any further than the above... the thing is I have not learned how to do these sums..I would just like to get a head start..

    I will show my attempts in future
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
    Hi,I can not get any further than the above... the thing is I have not learned how to do these sums..I would just like to get a head start..

    I will show my attempts in future
    Solving Quadratic Equations: Solving by Factoring

    Do you know how to factorise?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Write an equation to represent the data.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 30th 2011, 02:27 AM
  2. Equation to Represent Cost
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 26th 2010, 04:47 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 13th 2010, 03:41 PM
  4. write an equation to represent infromation
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 1st 2009, 04:15 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 28th 2009, 07:42 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum