Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Qustion on the remainder theorem:

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26

    Qustion on the remainder theorem:

    When P(z) is divided by (z^2) - 3z + z the remainder is 4z-7. Find the remainder when P(z) is divided by:

    a) (z-1)

    b) (z-2)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks
    1784
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by karldiesen View Post
    When P(z) is divided by (z^2) - 3z + z the remainder is 4z-7. Find the remainder when P(z) is divided by:
    a) (z-1)
    b) (z-2)
    Please review this posting. Is that really what the question says?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    no, it was just a weird way of writing a quadratic equation!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks
    1784
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by karldiesen View Post
    When P(z) is divided by (z^2) - 3z + z the remainder is 4z-7. Find the remainder when P(z) is divided by:
    a) (z-1)
    b) (z-2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Please review this posting. Is that really what the question says?
    Quote Originally Posted by karldiesen View Post
    no, it was just a weird way of writing a quadratic equation!
    I am will to wager that is incorrect.
    I bet that it is z^2-3z\color{blue}+2.
    It is the only way to make sense of the question.

    Theorem: If the polynomial P(x) is divided by x-a then the remainder is P(a).

    In this problem we have P(z)=(z^2-3z+2)Q(z)+(4z-7).
    Now use the theorem,
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    I am will to wager that is incorrect.
    I bet that it is z^2-3z\color{blue}+2.
    It is the only way to make sense of the question.

    Theorem: If the polynomial P(x) is divided by x-a then the remainder is P(a).

    In this problem we have P(z)=(z^2-3z+2)Q(z)+(4z-7).
    Now use the theorem,
    You are absolutely correct, that is what I was trying to write. I just didn't know how to write the exponents!

    But I am still stuck! I just can't see how I can get a solution...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks
    1784
    Awards
    1
    What are P(1)~\&~P(2)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    They are equal to the remainder!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,962
    Thanks
    1784
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by karldiesen View Post
    They are equal to the remainder!
    READ
    Theorem: If the polynomial P(x) is divided by x-a then the remainder is P(a).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    READ
    Theorem: If the polynomial P(x) is divided by x-a then the remainder is P(a).
    Ah, now it is finally clear to me! My head was just making the problem look impossible!

    Thanks alot!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Remainder Theorem
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th 2009, 09:40 PM
  2. remainder theorem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 5th 2009, 06:24 AM
  3. remainder theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 22nd 2008, 09:32 AM
  4. Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 8th 2007, 11:50 AM
  5. Remainder Theorem
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: March 21st 2007, 03:14 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum