Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - surds

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6

    surds

    Hey, I'm really struggling with a question on my maths homework.

    Express root5 +3/root 5 -2 in the form Proot5 + Q where P and Q are integers

    I got 2root5

    Is this right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by maplematt View Post
    Hey, I'm really struggling with a question on my maths homework.

    Express root5 +3/root 5 -2 in the form Proot5 + Q where P and Q are integers

    I got 2root5

    Is this right?
    I get 4\sqrt{5} - 2

    It seems to be addition, don't let the surd fool you, it's like x+x = 2x
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by e^(i*pi) View Post
    I get 4\sqrt{5} - 2

    It seems to be addition, don't let the surd fool you, it's like x+x = 2x
    do you mind explaining how you got to that?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by maplematt View Post
    do you mind explaining how you got to that?
    I could have misread the OP but I don't think so.

    Let u = \sqrt{5} so that the equation becomes u + 3u - 2

    What I did was said that you can combine the u terms to give 4u - 2

    And since u = \sqrt{5} we get 4\sqrt{5} - 2

    4 and -2 are both integers so it does satisfy the terms
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by e^(i*pi) View Post
    I could have misread the OP but I don't think so.

    Let u = \sqrt{5} so that the equation becomes u + 3u - 2

    What I did was said that you can combine the u terms to give 4u - 2

    And since u = \sqrt{5} we get 4\sqrt{5} - 2

    4 and -2 are both integers so it does satisfy the terms
    Thanks for the continued help,but I think you've misread, or maybe i didn't qrite it properly.

    root5 +3/root 5 -2


    (root5 plus 3) divided by (root 5 minus 2)

    sorry if i caused some confusion.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by maplematt View Post
    Thanks for the continued help,but I think you've misread, or maybe i didn't qrite it properly.

    root5 +3/root 5 -2


    (root5 plus 3) divided by (root 5 minus 2)

    sorry if i caused some confusion.
    Hi maplematt,

    \frac{\sqrt{5}+3}{\sqrt{5}-2}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{5}+2}{\sqrt{5}+2}=\frac{5+5\sqrt{5}+6}  {5-4}=11+5\sqrt{5}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    -1
    e^(i*pi)'s Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    West Midlands, England
    Posts
    3,053
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by maplematt View Post
    Thanks for the continued help,but I think you've misread, or maybe i didn't qrite it properly.

    root5 +3/root 5 -2


    (root5 plus 3) divided by (root 5 minus 2)

    sorry if i caused some confusion.
    I misread the question >.<
    Disregard anything I said and follow master's correct answer
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Help with Surds
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 5th 2012, 03:08 PM
  2. Something to do with surds?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 11th 2011, 10:33 AM
  3. surds
    Posted in the LaTeX Help Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 4th 2009, 04:55 PM
  4. surds
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 4th 2009, 12:30 AM
  5. surds
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 29th 2009, 04:40 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum