Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - multiplying fractions

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897

    multiplying fractions

    this is my question:
    3\frac{1}{2} x 1\frac{1}{4}

    i need to know how to do that queston but could you please ut workings out!!! thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    West Malaysia
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    this is my question:
    3\frac{1}{2} x 1\frac{1}{4}

    i need to know how to do that queston but could you please ut workings out!!! thanks
    change these fractions into improper fraction first

    7/2 x 5/4 = 35/8
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2008
    From
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by mathaddict View Post
    change these fractions into improper fraction first

    7/2 x 5/4 = 35/8

    how did you get 7/2 x 5/4, did u do this to get it:
    3x2 =6+1=7 then use the same demominator= 7/2
    1x4=4+1=5 then use the same demominator =5/4

    and by 5/4 do u mean \frac{5}{4} ??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,952
    Thanks
    1629
    Quote Originally Posted by andyboy179 View Post
    how did you get 7/2 x 5/4, did u do this to get it:
    3x2 =6+1=7 then use the same demominator= 7/2
    1x4=4+1=5 then use the same demominator =5/4

    and by 5/4 do u mean \frac{5}{4} ??
    Specifically, what he did was write 3 as 6/2 so that 3+ 1/2= 6/2 + 1/2= 7/2 and write 1 as 4/4 so that 1+ 1/4= 4/4+ 1/4= 5/4. And, yes, 5/4 is just a simpler way of writing \frac{5}{4}

    As to what you wrote, yes, 6+1= 7 but no, 3x2 is not equal to 6+ 1!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. multiplying out brackets with fractions?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 18th 2011, 11:22 AM
  2. Multiplying Fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 12th 2011, 08:07 AM
  3. multiplying two fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 13th 2009, 09:01 PM
  4. pssh fractions n multiplying...
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 28th 2007, 06:37 PM
  5. multiplying fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 25th 2007, 06:53 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum