Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - Regression equation

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13

    Regression equation

    I need to find the regression equation but I dont know how to find it, I have x & y values from the scatter graph that I have already produced. The exact thing its looking for is " Find the regression equation. State it in terms of the costs and the output. Give numerical values correct to three significant figures." If anybody could help me at all I would be greatly appriecated I am only really looking for the equation to work it out not for someone to just give me the answers.


    +rep asual for people who are willing to help


    I thank you all in advance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I need to find the regression equation but I dont know how to find it, I have x & y values from the scatter graph that I have already produced. The exact thing its looking for is " Find the regression equation. State it in terms of the costs and the output. Give numerical values correct to three significant figures." If anybody could help me at all I would be greatly appriecated I am only really looking for the equation to work it out not for someone to just give me the answers.


    +rep asual for people who are willing to help


    I thank you all in advance.
    Hi Swift,

    You might find this site useful if you're talking about simple linear regression.

    Learn Simple/Linear Regression tutorial, definition, example, formula

    Are you using a graphing calculator or are you trying to do this manually?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Manually and I guess I am doing linear regression as it doesnt state any specific linear....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Master Of Puppets
    pickslides's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,236
    Thanks
    28
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Should these links be simple or still very complicating as I understand some of it then it goes straight over my head sorry about this guys.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Should these links be simple or still very complicating as I understand some of it then it goes straight over my head sorry about this guys.
    Can't you follow the example in the link I gave you. It provides a table of sample x and y values and proceeds to determine the equation of the line of best fit? Be more specific.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Maths Calculator - Regression - Calculation, calculate regression, Simple/Linear Regression is that cheating? as it would be more simple for me because the link you sent me I just cant undertstand what actually is the regression equation (possibly more than one) I am very new too this level of maths still.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Master Of Puppets
    pickslides's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,236
    Thanks
    28
    Yes that would be cheating if you are expected to find it manually. Doing the calculations by hand gives you a greater understanding of the process and meaning.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Ok I am working this out with pen and paper just came to a snaggle with this working out.... I bet its straight forward but I just cant work it out what are the first scores :s

    The example is here; Learn Simple/Linear Regression tutorial, definition, example, formula (step3)

    ΣX = 311 on this example so how does ΣX2 = 19359

    ΣX2 = Sum of Square First Scores
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    A riddle wrapped in an enigma
    masters's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    From
    Big Stone Gap, Virginia
    Posts
    2,551
    Thanks
    12
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Ok I am working this out with pen and paper just came to a snaggle with this working out.... I bet its straight forward but I just cant work it out what are the first scores :s

    The example is here; Learn Simple/Linear Regression tutorial, definition, example, formula (step3)

    ΣX = 311 on this example so how does ΣX2 = 19359

    ΣX2 = Sum of Square First Scores
    Hi again Swift,

    In step 2 of the example you have a table with columns labeled "x", "y", "x*y", and "x*x".

    Step 3 is just the sum \left(\sum\right) of those columns. \sum x*x is, in fact, 19359. I just checked it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. regression equation
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 4th 2010, 06:51 AM
  2. Regression equation
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 20th 2009, 02:24 PM
  3. Regression equation help
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 19th 2009, 12:11 AM
  4. Using a Regression Equation
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 15th 2009, 12:12 PM
  5. Linear Regression Equation
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 12th 2006, 10:26 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum