A certain psychologist counsels people who are getting divorced. A random sample of five of her patients provided the following data where x = number of years of courtship before marriage, and y = number of years of marriage before divorce.
x 3 0.5 2 1.5 5
y 9 6 14 10 20
9. Construct a scatterplot on the grid provided:
10. Describe the form, direction, and strength of the relationship.
11. Use your calculator to determine the least-squares regression line. Write the equation, and plot this line on your graph. (Be sure to show what information you’re using to plot the line.)
12. Interpret the slope and y intercept of the regression line in the context of the problem.
13. Clearly label the residual for the data point (3, 9) on the grid above and give its value.
14. How well does the linear model you calculated in Question 11 fit the data? Give graphical and numerical evidence to support your answer.