Basic Stats Paper
Hey there, I was assigned a stats paper today and any help with how to go about completing the assignment would be GREATLY appreciated.
Here it is
What percentage of the numbered pages in our text contain at least one instance of the letter X?
Our textbook contains 770 numbered pages. Suppose we wanted to estimate the fraction of these 770 pages that have an X on them.
To answer this question, do the following:
(1) Assuming you donít want to check all 770 pages, describe a reasonable method of sampling from the text to answer this question.
(2) Use statistical software (or some other acceptable randomization method) to carry out the random sampling procedure described in part (1). Clearly detail the resulting sample that you obtain, and provide a summary of how it was chosen (That is, if you used software to choose the sample, show the relevant software program and/or output.)
This can be easily done in Minitab, and I can describe how to do it if needed.
(3) Using the sample you obtained in (2), check each chosen page in the sample to see if there is an X on the page, and tell me where you found one on the page if you did so.
(4) Use this information to obtain the following:
(a) A graphical summary of the frequency of the number of Xs found on the chosen pages.
(b) A graphical summary of the fraction of chosen pages that contain an X.
(c) A suitable confidence interval for the true percentage of all 770 pages that contain an X in the text.
Your assignment will be rated on a few things:
(1) Correct calculations and graphics.
(2) Clear explanations of your sample and your quantitative results.
(3) Having a reasonably small margin of error in your confidence interval for part 4(c).
Specifically i have questions about what size the sample should be.
Again, any kind of help would be great, im really struggling with this (Headbang)
If this is an assigment that counts towards your final grade then it's meant to be your own work and it's not appropriate for MHF to provide help. IN the first instance I'd suggest you discuss with your instructor how to get started. Please feel free to pm me to discuss this.
Originally Posted by hvanlear