Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - stats: hypothesis

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29

    stats: hypothesis

    Express the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1 in symbolic form. use the correct symbol (μ, p, σ) for the indicated parameter.


    Carter motor company claims that its new sedan, the libra will average better than 25 miles per gallon in the city.
    use μ, the true average mileage of the libra.


    how do i solve it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Rhymes with Orange Chris L T521's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by comet2000 View Post
    Express the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1 in symbolic form. use the correct symbol (μ, p, σ) for the indicated parameter.


    Carter motor company claims that its new sedan, the libra will average better than 25 miles per gallon in the city.
    use μ, the true average mileage of the libra.


    how do i solve it?
    Well,

    H_0:~\mu=25
    H_1:~\mu>25

    So you will be performing a right tailed test.

    What's your level of significance, \alpha? This is needed to find the critical region!!

    Also, it seems that some information is missing. Do you know anything about a possible sample [i.e. mean mpg and standard deviation for a certain number of cars] ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris L T521 View Post
    Well,

    H_0:~\mu=25
    H_1:~\mu>25

    So you will be performing a right tailed test.

    What's your level of significance, \alpha? This is needed to find the critical region!!

    Also, it seems that some information is missing. Do you know anything about a possible sample [i.e. mean mpg and standard deviation for a certain number of cars] ?
    that's all it says on the paper.

    thank you.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Rhymes with Orange Chris L T521's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by comet2000 View Post
    that's all it says on the paper.

    thank you.
    Woops...misread the problem...its just asking for the null and alternate hypothesis. What I posted in my first response is all you need then. Disregard what I said about \alpha, critical values, and the like.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris L T521 View Post
    Woops...misread the problem...its just asking for the null and alternate hypothesis. What I posted in my first response is all you need then. Disregard what I said about \alpha, critical values, and the like.
    hehe, ok. for a moment there, i was a bit confuse.

    Thank You Very Much.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Null Hypothesis, Alternative hypothesis, Critical Region..
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 8th 2011, 11:46 PM
  2. testing hypothesis...stats
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 29th 2008, 04:16 PM
  3. stats: plz need help
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 12th 2007, 03:41 PM
  4. are these the right stats?
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 3rd 2007, 08:51 AM
  5. Hypothesis on Riemann Hypothesis
    Posted in the Advanced Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 12th 2006, 10:59 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum