Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 21 of 21
Like Tree1Thanks

Math Help - College Statistics

  1. #16
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    158

    Re: College Statistics

    Now I keep getting 21.65064519 as my answer. This is what I did:

    The integral from 5 to 6 of (x^2 - μx)/σ dx = (182-33μ)/6*σ

    Plugging μ and σ into that, I then got the 21.65 above. I didn't get what you got.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanks
    950

    Re: College Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeHedgehog View Post
    Now I keep getting 21.65064519 as my answer. This is what I did:

    The integral from 5 to 6 of (x^2 - μx)/σ dx = (182-33μ)/6*σ

    Plugging μ and σ into that, I then got the 21.65 above. I didn't get what you got.
    no...

    you don't know what the Normal distribution is? I don't see how you can be trying these problems without knowing that.

    $\large N(\mu,\sigma)=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}\sigma}e^{-\dfrac{(x-\mu)^2}{2\sigma^2}}$

    and you can't just integrate it you have to look it up in a table or use software or something. You didn't go over any of this in class? It's not in your book at all?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    158

    Re: College Statistics

    I know what the Normal distribution, I just thought you were talking about the standard normal.

    What software did you use to integrate it?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanks
    950

    Re: College Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeHedgehog View Post
    I know what the Normal distribution, I just thought you were talking about the standard normal.

    What software did you use to integrate it?
    wolfram.com will work use

    1-CDF[NormalDistribution[$\mu,\sigma$],5]
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    Member
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    158

    Re: College Statistics

    Alright, I got the same answer that you got with that. Thank you.

    Now, for part (d) it asks what happens to the probability as n increases and I want to say that the probability will decrease.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2013
    From
    California
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanks
    950

    Re: College Statistics

    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeHedgehog View Post
    Alright, I got the same answer that you got with that. Thank you.

    Now, for part (d) it asks what happens to the probability as n increases and I want to say that the probability will decrease.
    yes
    Thanks from AwesomeHedgehog
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 1st 2013, 02:56 PM
  2. Help with college alg. h/w
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 25th 2011, 03:05 AM
  3. Statistics - College Level - Again!
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 31st 2008, 06:06 AM
  4. Statistics - College Level
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 29th 2008, 11:23 PM
  5. In a college
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 27th 2006, 02:39 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum