Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Math Help - Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

  1. #31
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Erm... I meant which of Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17) and Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) has to be the biggest?
    The one covers more values of X than the other.
    What does that say about which one is the bigger one?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #32
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSerena View Post
    Erm... I meant which of Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17) and Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) has to be the biggest?
    The one covers more values of X than the other.
    What does that say about which one is the bigger one?
    Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) covers more values of X.



    I still don't know if I understand what you mean.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #33
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wevans2303 View Post
    Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) covers more values of X.
    Yes, so Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) ≥ Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17) > 0.86.

    What does that tell you about the highest minimum value that you can find for Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #34
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Errm.

    If we split up the interval for X into 2 disjoint intervals we get:
    Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) = Pr((1 ≤ X ≤ 17) ∨ (17 < X ≤ 19))

    Application of the sum rule for disjoint events gives us:
    Pr((1 ≤ X ≤ 17) ∨ (17 < X ≤ 19)) = Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17) + P(17 < X ≤ 19)

    So Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) ≥ Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #35
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSerena View Post
    Yes, so Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) ≥ Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 17) > 0.86.

    What does that tell you about the highest minimum value that you can find for Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19)?
    I thought we worked out Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) = 0.8 which is less than 0.86...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #36
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wevans2303 View Post
    I thought we worked out Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) = 0.8 which is less than 0.86...
    Well, we used 2 different methods to find a lower bound for Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19).

    The two-tailed version gave us Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) > 0.86, while the one-tailed version gave us Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) > 0.8.

    Both inequalities are true.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #37
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSerena View Post
    Well, we used 2 different methods to find a lower bound for Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19).

    The two-tailed version gave us Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) > 0.86, while the one-tailed version gave us Pr(1 ≤ X ≤ 19) > 0.8.

    Both inequalities are true.
    Right okay I understand that bit.

    One sec let me ponder.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #38
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Eurgh I cant think right now, I must be missing something obvious.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #39
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    I'm beat.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #40
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Well, I'll help you, but you will have to show some of your thought processes if you want that...
    Otherwise, I have no clue which obvious thing it is that you are missing.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #41
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSerena View Post
    Well, I'll help you, but you will have to show some of your thought processes if you want that...
    Otherwise, I have no clue which obvious thing it is that you are missing.
    I'm just a little lost in the question I think.

    So we did a two tailed inequality and got 0.86.

    Then a one tailed version to get 0.80.

    Now are we trying to find the final answer? Can you explain why 0.80 is not the answer? Isn't that what the question is asking for?

    I don't understand what you mean when you say 'highest minimum value'.

    Thanks for helping me and im sorry for being tough.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #42
    Super Member ILikeSerena's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    733
    Thanks
    121

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    0.80 is a correct answer and so is 0.86.

    Since Chebyshev gives an upper estimate of the tails and the upper estimate of 0.14 for the tails is sharper than the upper estimate of 0.20.
    This means that 0.86 is a better answer, although 0.80 is also a correct answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #43
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    61

    Re: Guidance r.e. Chebyshev's Inequlity.

    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSerena View Post
    0.80 is a correct answer and so is 0.86.

    Since Chebyshev gives an upper estimate of the tails and the upper estimate of 0.14 for the tails is sharper than the upper estimate of 0.20.
    This means that 0.86 is a better answer, although 0.80 is also a correct answer.
    Cool, this is the closest I came, my reasoning was that 0.14 < 0.20 so 0.86 is the answer to use, is that some what a correct thought process or have I come to the correct conclusion by chance?

    Not sure what you mean by tails you see.




    EDIT: Oh no I do know what tails are.........
    Last edited by Wevans2303; January 6th 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Inequlity
    Posted in the Math Challenge Problems Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 20th 2010, 03:17 AM
  2. Inductin guidance
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: July 6th 2010, 08:58 PM
  3. Need Guidance...
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 27th 2009, 08:12 PM
  4. Need Some Guidance
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 24th 2009, 06:37 PM
  5. An Intergral Inequlity
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 2nd 2008, 07:07 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum