Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Statistics help.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2

    Statistics help.

    Need help with population mean and margin of error for homework.

    Determine the point estimate of the population mean and margin of error for the Confidence interval.

    Lower bound: 5, upper bound:23

    I would be very grateful and appreciative If someone can help and explain it to me more clearly.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by zerolx View Post
    Need help with population mean and margin of error for homework.

    Determine the point estimate of the population mean and margin of error for the Confidence interval.

    Lower bound: 5, upper bound:23

    I would be very grateful and appreciative If someone can help and explain it to me more clearly.
    More information is required. Please post the question eaxtly as it's written in wherever you got it from.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    More information is required. Please post the question eaxtly as it's written in wherever you got it from.
    That's how it was written in the book. It's # 19

    I'm sorry if images are not allowed.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor matheagle's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,763
    Thanks
    5
    The point estimate is the sample mean which is the midpoint of the interval, 14.

    The error, I assume is z_{\alpha/2}s/\sqrt n which is 23-14=9
    Last edited by matheagle; October 24th 2009 at 11:33 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by matheagle View Post
    The point estimate is the sample mean which is the midpoint of the interval, 14.

    The error, I assume is z_{\alpha/2}s/\sqrt n which is 23-14=9
    Well they say eagles have sharp eyes. Because I just can't see where the values of n, s and \alpha have come from.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. pet statistics
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 11th 2009, 12:07 PM
  2. Statistics
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 1st 2009, 11:48 PM
  3. Statistics
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 1st 2009, 12:08 PM
  4. Statistics
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 3rd 2008, 07:55 AM
  5. statistics
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 21st 2007, 09:02 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum