Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Complex problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    44

    Question Complex problem

    How do I find the answer to e^i(pi/18) *without* using a calculator.

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chancey
    How do I find the answer to e^i(pi/18) *without* using a calculator.

    Thanks
    Use Euler's Formula thus,
    e^{i(\pi/18)}=\cos (\pi/18)+i\sin(\pi/18)
    All you need to do is find what (co)sine of \pi/18 is, you can do this by using the third angle identity,
    <br />
\cos 3\theta=4\cos^3 \theta-3\cos \theta<br />
    Which reduces to solving a cubic equation.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePerfectHacker
    Use Euler's Formula thus,
    e^{i(\pi/18)}=\cos (\pi/18)+i\sin(\pi/18)
    All you need to do is find what (co)sine of \pi/18 is, you can do this by using the third angle identity,
    <br />
\cos 3\theta=4\cos^3 \theta-3\cos \theta<br />
    Which reduces to solving a cubic equation.
    That doesnt help because sine and cosine are made up of the very expression I am trying to solve. This problem has been bugging me for ages
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chancey
    That doesnt help because sine and cosine are made up of the very expression I am trying to solve. This problem has been bugging me for ages
    Since, \cos (\pi/6)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}}
    You have,
    \frac{ \sqrt{3} }{2}=4x^3-3x
    Maybe time later I will solve this cubic, I predict it will look messy.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    44
    Ahh, I see. So there is no formula(s) for solving any complex exponential? What if I had something really messy like, e^{0.155i}?

    And yes, when that cubic equation is solved it gives the correct answer
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Complex problem Z=z^2
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 5th 2010, 05:00 AM
  2. complex problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 12th 2010, 07:13 AM
  3. complex problem
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 10th 2010, 03:55 AM
  4. Complex Problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 6th 2009, 05:39 AM
  5. complex no. problem no.1
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 2nd 2008, 01:07 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum