Results 1 to 11 of 11

Math Help - Making 'x' the subject of this formula - different

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11

    Making 'x' the subject of this formula - different

    hello all,

    i am thinking that i am lacking a few fundamental algebraic techniques to solve this, but i'm looking towards your help, thank you

    Problem Statement: Make 'x' the subject of the formula:

    Q1:
    e^x+x=4+y

    Q2:
    2+x^2+tan(3x/2)=y

    thanks in advance

    - str33tl0rd
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,315
    Thanks
    1223
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    hello all,

    i am thinking that i am lacking a few fundamental algebraic techniques to solve this, but i'm looking towards your help, thank you

    Problem Statement: Make 'x' the subject of the formula:

    Q1:
    e^x+x=4+y

    Q2:
    2+x^2+tan(3x/2)=y

    thanks in advance

    - str33tl0rd
    Put simply, x can't be made the subject in either of those equations.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    hello all,

    i am thinking that i am lacking a few fundamental algebraic techniques to solve this, but i'm looking towards your help, thank you

    Problem Statement: Make 'x' the subject of the formula:

    Q1:
    e^x+x=4+y

    Q2:
    2+x^2+tan(3x/2)=y

    thanks in advance

    - str33tl0rd
    Not possible. (Actually, the first can be done using the Lambert W-function which I'm sure you know nothing about). Why do you want to do this? Where have the questions come from?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    wow, i never knew this would be some advanced university thing....thats why it gave me an headache for 5 hours to try figure it out and still not getting an answer....i was working on inverses of exponentials, trigonometric and logarithimic functions when i hit this question...i was to find the inverse of something similar. I took on firstly interchanging the x and y values....but then when i tried to make the 'y' value the subject of the formula, i just couldn't...

    i found this type of question on the Stewart's Calculus 6th Edition....btw, i'm only in year 10 (16 years of age), so i won't know a great deal of things about Lambert and so..but i hope i will get a knowledge of them in these upcoming holidays....

    but thanks for you help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    wow, i never knew this would be some advanced university thing....thats why it gave me an headache for 5 hours to try figure it out and still not getting an answer....i was working on inverses of exponentials, trigonometric and logarithimic functions when i hit this question...i was to find the inverse of something similar. I took on firstly interchanging the x and y values....but then when i tried to make the 'y' value the subject of the formula, i just couldn't...

    i found this type of question on the Stewart's Calculus 6th Edition....btw, i'm only in year 10 (16 years of age), so i won't know a great deal of things about Lambert and so..but i hope i will get a knowledge of them in these upcoming holidays....

    but thanks for you help.
    You could post the original question (or an example of someyjomh similar) from Stewart.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    i don't really have a problem with the actual inverse question, what caught my attention and took my time was making x the subject of such expressions; but if you still are really interested in doing that inverse question, here it is :

    if f(x)=3+x+e^x
    calculate f^-(4)

    - str33tl0rd
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    i don't really have a problem with the actual inverse question, what caught my attention and took my time was making x the subject of such expressions; but if you still are really interested in doing that inverse question, here it is :

    if f(x)=3+x+e^x
    calculate f^-(4)

    - str33tl0rd
    If you had posted the actual question right from the start less time would have been wasted. Because you do not need to find the general inverse function and then substitute x = 4.

    Instead, note that y = f^{-1}(4) where 4 = 3 + y + e^y \Rightarrow e^y + y = 1. By inspection (and the question has been cooked for this to happen), y = 0. Therefore f^{-1}(4) = 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    yep, nice working out mate; we got the same answers...
    no time was wasted, as the descriptive title says here: making 'x' the subject of the formula, not solving the inverse function

    thanks again

    - str33tl0rd
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    yep, nice working out mate; we got the same answers...
    no time was wasted, as the descriptive title says here: making 'x' the subject of the formula, not solving the inverse function

    thanks again

    - str33tl0rd
    The time you wasted was evidentialy not yours but ours.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    From
    Australia
    Posts
    11
    mate, i just asked a question....and i got my answer and i thanked you guys numerous times....then one of you guys started the thing again by asking what was the actual question...that wasn't my problem..so whoever asked, basically wasted his/her time and yours too

    [can some mod/admin lock this thread already, so nobody asks irrelevant questions and we stop wasting time, please =].]

    -str33tl0rd
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by str33tl0rd View Post
    mate, i just asked a question....and i got my answer and i thanked you guys numerous times....then one of you guys started the thing again by asking what was the actual question...that wasn't my problem..so whoever asked, basically wasted his/her time and yours too

    [can some mod/admin lock this thread already, so nobody asks irrelevant questions and we stop wasting time, please =].]

    -str33tl0rd
    Next time we will know not to dig more deeply into what the real problem is.

    Then you can be happy getting a reply that never answers what the real question was.

    So that when you get the real question on an exam, you can quite happily answer "Not possible" and the examiner can give you zero. Which will actually save a lot of time for everyone, particularly the examiner.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Making x the subject of this
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 20th 2011, 05:58 PM
  2. Making X The Subject
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 27th 2009, 12:44 AM
  3. Making n the subject in this equation.
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 21st 2009, 11:04 AM
  4. Making r the subject
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 28th 2009, 02:29 PM
  5. making the symbol the subject
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 16th 2006, 05:11 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum