Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Acceleration, velocity and forces!

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383

    Acceleration, velocity and forces!

    Speed humps are to be placed on a street passing a primary school to try and ensure that vehicles do not travel faster than 50km/hr along the street. If a car goes over the humps at more than 25 km/hr then the passengers in the car will receive a nasty jolt. How far apart should the speed humps be placed in order to keep the speed of cars down to safe levels? Million thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    Speed humps are to be placed on a street passing a primary school to try and ensure that vehicles do not travel faster than 50km/hr along the street. If a car goes over the humps at more than 25 km/hr then the passengers in the car will receive a nasty jolt. How far apart should the speed humps be placed in order to keep the speed of cars down to safe levels? Million thanks!
    There is insufficient data to give an answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383
    what info do you need?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    Speed humps are to be placed on a street passing a primary school to try and ensure that vehicles do not travel faster than 50km/hr along the street. If a car goes over the humps at more than 25 km/hr then the passengers in the car will receive a nasty jolt. How far apart should the speed humps be placed in order to keep the speed of cars down to safe levels? Million thanks!
    Well, you have an initial velocity (50 km/hr) and a final velocity (25 km/hr) and you want to calculate the distance travelled between the two points A and B where the car has those velocities. So how about you think about what other data is needed to do the calculation and then you tell me ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    383
    the acceleration of the car? say it's 3.43209877 m/s^2 and we don't want to excess 25km/h?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Well, you have an initial velocity (50 km/hr) and a final velocity (25 km/hr) and you want to calculate the distance travelled between the two points A and B where the car has those velocities. So how about you think about what other data is needed to do the calculation and then you tell me ....
    The initial and final speeds need to be 25 km/hr as you are travelling between speed bumps.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMilo View Post
    the acceleration of the car? say it's 3.43209877 m/s^2 and we don't want to excess 25km/h?
    As the maximum acceleration for a car is not the same as the maximum decelleration (with my car I think I can generate more than 1g of decelleration if needed) you also need the decelleration or to state the assumption that these are the same.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    The initial and final speeds need to be 25 km/hr as you are travelling between speed bumps.

    CB
    Yes. What's needed is the distance travelled in going from 25 km/hr to 50 km/hr (assuming getting to that speed is posiible, but who knows ....) and then the distance travelled in going from 50 km/hr to 25 km/hr.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Velocity and Acceleration
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 3rd 2009, 06:35 AM
  2. acceleration/velocity
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 9th 2009, 12:29 PM
  3. velocity/acceleration
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 9th 2009, 10:49 AM
  4. Velocity and Acceleration
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 16th 2007, 06:57 AM
  5. acceleration and velocity
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 25th 2007, 10:21 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum