Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - linear algebra- upside down y symbol??

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30

    linear algebra- upside down y symbol??

    For the matrix
    A =

    [6 3 3
    3 6 3
    3 3 6]

    determine all possible values of ** such that det(A − **I3) = 0.

    NOTE...where the ** are there is a symbol like an upside down y.
    what is the question asking for??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by linearalgebra View Post
    For the matrix
    A =

    [6 3 3
    3 6 3
    3 3 6]

    determine all possible values of ** such that det(A − **I3) = 0.

    NOTE...where the ** are there is a symbol like an upside down y.
    what is the question asking for??
    I can't help you with the real question, but I think with an upside-down y you mean a lambda. written as λ and used in Eigenvalue, eigenvector and eigenspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    i just found that out.
    unfortunately i still dont get how to find it out.
    i'll try to find some explanation on wikipedia or something..thanks though
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by linearalgebra View Post
    For the matrix
    A =

    [6 3 3
    3 6 3
    3 3 6]

    determine all possible values of ** such that det(A − **I3) = 0.

    NOTE...where the ** are there is a symbol like an upside down y.
    what is the question asking for??
    I assume \lambda is the symbol to which you refer. It is the greek letter "lambda". Now onto your question, in matrices \lambda is used to represent the eigenvalues of a matrix. If you've not come across this term then I assume you will soon as the question is basically asking you to find these eigenvalues so for now just think of them as numbers (that's all they are really).
    First step is to construct the matrix A-\lambda I so you will have something like \left[\begin{array}{ccc}6-\lambda & 3 & 3\\ 3 & 6-\lambda & 3\\ 3 & 3 & 6-\lambda\end{array}\right]
    Now all you have to do is find its determinant which will be a cubic polynomial and then as the question suggests put it equal to zero and find its roots.
    Is this enough to get you started?
    Hopefully it was just the \lambda that was throwing you off.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    thanks...clears up a little but im still unsure as to how to go about solving this.

    when you say..."find its determinant which will be a cubic polynomial" what do you mean?

    sorry if i sound totally oblivious, ive been looking at this for so long that i think ive confused myself
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by linearalgebra View Post
    thanks...clears up a little but im still unsure as to how to go about solving this.

    when you say..."find its determinant which will be a cubic polynomial" what do you mean?

    sorry if i sound totally oblivious, ive been looking at this for so long that i think ive confused myself
    No problem, what I mean is that when you take the det you will get an equation which looks like
    a\lambda^{3}+b\lambda^{2}+c\lambda+d=0 and you will have to factorise (if it factorises) this to find values of lambda.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    okay, so here is what i gather...

    by using the following formula which is the determinant of a three by three matrix is

    a11 a12 a13
    a21 a22 a23
    a31 a32 a33

    = a11(a22a33 − a23a32) − a12(a21a33 − a23a31) + a13(a21a32 − a22a31)

    three steps
    1) I use this formula and apply it to my original matrix
    2) I use that formula and apply it to the 3x3 identity matrix
    3) the values i get from those, i plus in to the question.

    am i correct?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,654
    Thanks
    1478
    Quote Originally Posted by linearalgebra View Post
    okay, so here is what i gather...

    by using the following formula which is the determinant of a three by three matrix is

    a11 a12 a13
    a21 a22 a23
    a31 a32 a33

    = a11(a22a33 − a23a32) − a12(a21a33 − a23a31) + a13(a21a32 − a22a31)

    three steps
    1) I use this formula and apply it to my original matrix
    2) I use that formula and apply it to the 3x3 identity matrix
    3) the values i get from those, i plus in to the question.

    am i correct?
    For a 3x3 matrix of the form

    \left[\begin{array}{ccc}a & b & c\\ d & e & f\\ h & j & k\end{array}\right]

    It's determinant is

    a\left|\begin{array}{cc}e & f\\ j & k\end{array}\right| - b\left|\begin{array}{cc}d & f\\ h & k\end{array}\right| + c\left|\begin{array}{cc}d & e\\ h & j\end{array}\right|

     = a(ek - fj) - b(dk - fh) + c(dj - eh).

    Apply this to your particular matrix, set it equal to 0, and solve for \lambda.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    awesome!! i didnt get your formula in time, but its the same thing as the one i posted anyway..
    okay so i did it and ended up with A= 108
    and I3= 1
    therefore making the unknown value 108

    this case is closed!
    =) thank you so much for your help!

    ive got two other problems listed, and im working my way through those as well, but if you wouldnt mind just taking a quick peek at them.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Simplify (A-B) U (A (upside U) B)
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 12th 2011, 09:01 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 19th 2010, 06:06 PM
  3. Nyquists formula upside down
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 27th 2009, 04:04 PM
  4. related rates and upside down cones!
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 14th 2008, 04:42 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum