Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Thanks
  • 1 Post By HallsofIvy
  • 1 Post By SlipEternal

Thread: relation = "atomic" operation

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    139

    relation = "atomic" operation

    Is relation is "atomic" operation?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Feb 2015
    From
    Ottawa Ontario
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    388

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Please clarify your question...and in proper English if possible...thank you...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    139

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Can I divide the relation concept to other mathematics' concept?
    Last edited by policer; Nov 9th 2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,072
    Thanks
    2973
    Awards
    1

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Can I divide the relation concept to other mathematics' concept?
    It is impossible to divide by zero.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    139

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    It is impossible to divide by zero.
    Can the set "relation" be in subset? ("divide into another subsets in math)?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    22,072
    Thanks
    2973
    Awards
    1

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Can the set "relation" be in subset? ("divide into another subsets in math)?
    Please find an English tutor for yourself. Or find someone who can help you post your questions.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    20,032
    Thanks
    3160

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    A "relation" between sets X and Y is any subset of X x Y, a set of pairs, (x, y), where x is from set X and y is from set Y. A relation is NOT an "operation" at all so certainly not an "atomic" relation.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    139

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Another questions (connected to the subject):
    (1)Can I define a relation as a recursive "operation", like: A>1 so also 2A>1, 3A>1 and etc.
    So Is there a way as I said to "divide" the relation to other relation that are used in That way?!
    (2)Can Relation be reflexive as I said?!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,715
    Thanks
    1510

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Another questions (connected to the subject):
    (1)Can I define a relation as a recursive "operation", like: A>1 so also 2A>1, 3A>1 and etc.
    So Is there a way as I said to "divide" the relation to other relation that are used in That way?!
    (2)Can Relation be reflexive as I said?!
    1) No, relations are not operations, so they cannot be recursive operations.
    2) No. While relations can be reflexive, they are not recursive operations, so they can not be reflexive recursive operations.

    Now, that said, it may be possible to define an operator on the set of all relations to itself such that it takes one relation and "divides" it in some way (provided you can make this division well-defined). I would look into representation theory if I were you.
    Last edited by SlipEternal; Nov 9th 2018 at 01:38 PM.
    Thanks from topsquark
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    139

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    1) No, relations are not operations, so they cannot be recursive operations.
    2) No. While relations can be reflexive, they are not recursive operations, so they can not be reflexive recursive operations.

    Now, that said, it may be possible to define an operator on the set of all relations to itself such that it takes one relation and "divides" it in some way (provided you can make this division well-defined). I would look into representation theory if I were you.
    Can someone elaborate the underlined text?
    What does he mean?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    20,032
    Thanks
    3160

    Re: relation = "atomic" operation

    Did you enter "representation theory" into a search engine?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Please help how to solve " operation decimal"
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jun 30th 2014, 08:16 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 2nd 2012, 08:06 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 24th 2011, 08:01 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Oct 25th 2010, 05:45 AM
  5. A question about definition of "Binary Relation"
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Oct 16th 2009, 03:56 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum