Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Fibonacci sequence

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    142

    Fibonacci sequence

    Fibonacci sequence is used, for example, in the reproduction of rabbits.
    What are the axioms that the sequence [Fibonacci sequence] is based on?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,717
    Thanks
    1512

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Fibonacci sequence is used, for example, in the reproduction of rabbits.
    What are the axioms that the sequence [Fibonacci sequence] is based on?
    The first two terms are fixed. Every term after the second is the sum of the previous two terms. Typically, the first two terms are $0,1$ or $1,1$ (with the latter option being far more common in my experience). You could have gotten that by typing "Fibonacci sequence" into google, so I am probably not understanding what you are looking for.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    142

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    I don't understand:
    The Fibonacci Sequence is a sequence of numbers.
    Is this Sequence base on axioms?
    Why not or Why it's base on axioms?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    142

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Maybe I ask it in this way:
    are the sequences, for instance Fibonacci Sequence, in mathematics based on Peano Axioms?
    Is there another axiom, except it, that sum based on... (a) in general? (b) on the particular sequence - Fibonacci Sequences?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    20,032
    Thanks
    3160

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    The Peano axioms are axioms for the natural numbers. Anything dealing with natural numbers, and, in particular, the "Fibonacci sequences", is based on the Peano axioms. In mathematics everything is based on axioms!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    11,275
    Thanks
    772
    Awards
    1

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Fibonacci sequence is used, for example, in the reproduction of rabbits.
    What are the axioms that the sequence [Fibonacci sequence] is based on?
    To address what I think you are trying to get to: It's just a sequence of numbers. A useful sequence but just a sequence. There are no axioms involved.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,717
    Thanks
    1512

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    Maybe I ask it in this way:
    are the sequences, for instance Fibonacci Sequence, in mathematics based on Peano Axioms?
    Is there another axiom, except it, that sum based on... (a) in general? (b) on the particular sequence - Fibonacci Sequences?
    Perhaps reviewing the definition of a sequence would help: Given a set $X$, a sequence in $X$ is a function from the set of Natural Numbers to the set $X$.

    So, if you are looking for the set of axioms required so that definition makes sense, then you need a base set theory (so that discussion of a set $X$ makes sense). Typically, this is the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms of set theory. You need axioms for the Natural Numbers. The Peano axioms are a good set to work with, but there are others that also describe the Natural Numbers.

    Is this what you are looking for?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member
    Joined
    Dec 2017
    From
    Tel Aviv
    Posts
    142

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    Perhaps reviewing the definition of a sequence would help: Given a set $X$, a sequence in $X$ is a function from the set of Natural Numbers to the set $X$.

    So, if you are looking for the set of axioms required so that definition makes sense, then you need a base set theory (so that discussion of a set $X$ makes sense). Typically, this is the Zermelo-Fraenkel axioms of set theory. You need axioms for the Natural Numbers. The Peano axioms are a good set to work with, but there are others that also describe the Natural Numbers.

    Is this what you are looking for?
    So, How can The Fibonacci Sequence be formulate by ZF axioms or Peano axioms?
    Last edited by policer; Aug 20th 2018 at 07:05 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,717
    Thanks
    1512

    Re: Fibonacci sequence

    Quote Originally Posted by policer View Post
    So, How can The Fibonacci Sequence be formulate by ZF axioms or Peano axioms?
    ZF axioms offer the basic axioms needed for set theory. The Peano axioms offer the basic axioms for the construction of the Natural numbers. The Fibonacci Sequence is defined as:

    $f:\mathbb{N}\to \mathbb{N}$ by $f(0)=f(1)=1$ and $\forall n>1, f(n) = f(n-2)+f(n-1)$.

    You may not even need the ZF axioms. The Peano axioms may be enough.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Fibonacci sequence
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar 28th 2010, 04:54 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Mar 1st 2010, 12:57 PM
  3. Fibonacci sequence
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep 26th 2009, 09:28 PM
  4. fibonacci sequence
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 20th 2007, 02:14 PM
  5. Fibonacci's sequence
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Jun 11th 2006, 09:04 AM

/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum