Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Lin. Dep.

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    221

    Lin. Dep.

    1.) Given the set with these two vectors:

     \left\{  \left[ \begin {array}{c} a-1\\\noalign{\medskip}a+3<br />
\end {array} \right] , \left[ \begin {array}{c} 1\\\noalign{\medskip}a<br />
\end {array} \right]  \right\}

    I have to find the value(s) of a that makes it linearly depedent.

    WORK:

    Well, they are lin. dep. if they are multiples of each other. So I eye-balled it (not sure how else to do it) and saw that a = 3 will make it lin. dep because then you have the two rows are multiples of each other (scalar of 2)

    Is that the only value?

    2.) Like above..but with 1 more vector..given the set with these 3 vectors:

    \left\{  \left[ \begin {array}{c} a+4\\\noalign{\medskip}3<br />
\\\noalign{\medskip}2\end {array} \right] , \left[ \begin {array}{c} a<br />
\\\noalign{\medskip}1\\\noalign{\medskip}0\end {array} \right] ,<br />
 \left[ \begin {array}{c} 2\\\noalign{\medskip}1\\\noalign{\medskip}1<br />
\end {array} \right]  \right\}

    I have to find the value(s) of a that makes it linearly depedent.

    WORK:

    I can't eye-ball any a that will make these multiples of each other or will make a whole column all 0....I conclude that there is no value a for which this is linearly dependent??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    338
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideasman View Post
    1.) Given the set with these two vectors:

     \left\{  \left[ \begin {array}{c} a-1\\\noalign{\medskip}a+3<br />
\end {array} \right] , \left[ \begin {array}{c} 1\\\noalign{\medskip}a<br />
\end {array} \right]  \right\}

    I have to find the value(s) of a that makes it linearly depedent.
    As you say, if they are linearly dependent they are multiples of each other. Thus we have the equation:
    \left[ \begin {matrix} a-1 \\ a+3<br />
\end {matrix} \right] = c \left[ \begin {matrix}1 \\ a<br />
\end {matrix} \right]
    where c is some constant.

    Thus we have that
    a - 1 = c \cdot 1
    a + 3 = c \cdot a

    Solving these simultaneously gives:
    a = -1, 3 (and c = 2, -2 respectively.)

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    9,939
    Thanks
    338
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ideasman View Post
    2.) Like above..but with 1 more vector..given the set with these 3 vectors:

    \left\{  \left[ \begin {array}{c} a+4\\\noalign{\medskip}3<br />
\\\noalign{\medskip}2\end {array} \right] , \left[ \begin {array}{c} a<br />
\\\noalign{\medskip}1\\\noalign{\medskip}0\end {array} \right] ,<br />
 \left[ \begin {array}{c} 2\\\noalign{\medskip}1\\\noalign{\medskip}1<br />
\end {array} \right]  \right\}

    I have to find the value(s) of a that makes it linearly depedent.
    Here we need to define linearly dependent a bit more carefully. If three vectors are linearly dependent we may take a linear combination of any two of them and produce a third. So one example of this is
    \left[ \begin {matrix}a+4 \\ 3 <br />
\\ 2 \end {matrix} \right] = c \left[ \begin {matrix} a<br />
\\ 1 \\  0 \end {matrix} \right] +<br />
d \left[ \begin {matrix} 2\\ 1 \\ 1 <br />
\end {matrix} \right]
    where c and d are some constants.

    So we have the equations:
    a + 4 = c \cdot a + d \cdot 2
    3 = c \cdot 1 + d \cdot 1
    2 = c \cdot 0 + d \cdot 1

    I'll let you solve the system for a, c, and d.

    Note: You may set up the 2 other examples, reordering the vectors as you do, and you will get the same value for a, but obviously with different values of c and d for each.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    Here we need to define linearly dependent a bit more carefully. If three vectors are linearly dependent we may take a linear combination of any two of them and produce a third. So one example of this is
    \left[ \begin {matrix}a+4 \\ 3 <br />
\\ 2 \end {matrix} \right] = c \left[ \begin {matrix} a<br />
\\ 1 \\  0 \end {matrix} \right] +<br />
d \left[ \begin {matrix} 2\\ 1 \\ 1 <br />
\end {matrix} \right]
    where c and d are some constants.

    So we have the equations:
    a + 4 = c \cdot a + d \cdot 2
    3 = c \cdot 1 + d \cdot 1
    2 = c \cdot 0 + d \cdot 1

    I'll let you solve the system for a, c, and d.

    Note: You may set up the 2 other examples, reordering the vectors as you do, and you will get the same value for a, but obviously with different values of c and d for each.

    -Dan

    Ohhh!! Wow, completed missed the other solution for #1.

    For #2, I can't find any a that makes it depedent. Whatever I try makes it independent

    I keep getting:

    \left[ \begin {array}{ccc} 1&0&8\\\noalign{\medskip}0&1&10<br />
\\\noalign{\medskip}0&0&45\end {array} \right]

    Is there no a that makes this lin dep? I'm going crazy.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum