Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - unidirection Vectors

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41

    unidirection Vectors

    Hi,

    I want to ask about Unidirectional vectors

    Assume that I've vector u = [7 6 -3]

    and I've vector v in the same direction as u with initial point A= (2,-1,4)

    so is it enough to say that v=K[7 6 -3]

    or I've to say that B= A + v = (2+7k,6k-1, 4-3k)


    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,617
    Thanks
    1581
    Awards
    1

    Re: unidirection Vectors

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzoro10 View Post
    Assume that I've vector u = [7 6 -3]
    and I've vector v in the same direction as u with initial point A= (2,-1,4)
    so is it enough to say that v=K[7 6 -3]
    A + v = (2+7k,6k-1, 4-3k)
    First you should say that in order to have the same direction it must be that k>0.

    The equation in blue is a line through A with direction u.

    So I am not really sure what you need.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    41

    Re: unidirection Vectors

    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    First you should say that in order to have the same direction it must be that k>0.

    The equation in blue is a line through A with direction u.

    So I am not really sure what you need.
    I want to know what vector v which is the same direction of u and has A as initial point

    if i only wrote v=k[7 6 -3] when k>0 so what the need for mentioning A!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,617
    Thanks
    1581
    Awards
    1

    Re: unidirection Vectors

    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzoro10 View Post
    I want to know what vector v which is the same direction of u and has A as initial point
    if i only wrote v=k[7 6 -3] when k>0 so what the need for mentioning A!
    Frankly I do not know. Neither do I know what your text/instructor has to say about it.

    Generally speaking, a vector is an equivalence class of 'objects' that have the same length and same direction. As such, the notion of initial point is mute. By that is meant, starting at any point 'moving off' in the same direction with the same length gives the same vector.

    Vectors are parallel if they are non-zero multiples of each other.
    They have the same direction if the multiple is positive.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 15th 2011, 05:10 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 30th 2011, 08:05 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 18th 2011, 10:31 AM
  4. [SOLVED] Vectors: Finding coefficients to scalars with given vectors.
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 23rd 2011, 12:47 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 10th 2009, 06:03 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum