Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Linear maps

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    156

    Linear maps

    Let S: \mathbb{R}^2  \to \mathbb{R}^2 be the function defined by S(x, y) = (x - y, y) for all (x,y) \varepsilon \mathbb{R}^2

    Show that S is a linear map

    Now I know that a linear map preserves the shape and takes lines to lines and points to points, but how would you show that S is a linear map using a formula such as
    S(\alpha \mathbf{x} + \beta \mathbf{y})?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,580
    Thanks
    1418
    Quote Originally Posted by SyNtHeSiS View Post
    Let S: \mathbb{R}^2  \to \mathbb{R}^2 be the function defined by S(x, y) = (x - y, y) for all (x,y) \varepsilon \mathbb{R}^2

    Show that S is a linear map

    Now I know that a linear map preserves the shape and takes lines to lines and points to points, but how would you show that S is a linear map using a formula such as
    S(\alpha \mathbf{x} + \beta \mathbf{y})?
    Here, your x is a pair, (x_1, y_1) and your y is a pair, (x_2, y_2). \alpha\mathbf{x}+ \beta\mathbf{y}= \alpha(x_1, y_1)+ \beta(x_2, y_2)= (\alpha x_1+ \beta x_2, \alpha y_1+ \beta y_2).

    What to you get when you apply S to that pair?

    (It might be less confusing to do the sum and scalar multiplication separately. That is, find S(x_1+ x_2, y_1+ y_2) and S(\alpha x_1, \alpha x_2).)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    156
    You get S((\alpha x1 + \beta x2) - (\alpha y1 + \beta y2 ), \alpha y1 + \beta y2), but I dont know what to to do next.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,580
    Thanks
    1418
    Quote Originally Posted by SyNtHeSiS View Post
    You get S((\alpha x1 + \beta x2) - (\alpha y1 + \beta y2 ), \alpha y1 + \beta y2), but I dont know what to to do next.
    No, you get S(\alpha(x_1, y_1)+ \beta(x_2, y_2))= (\alpha x1 + \beta x2) - (\alpha y1 + \beta y2 ), \alpha y1 + \beta y2). What you have still has the "S" but S has already been performed.

    Now, separate those: (\alpha x1 + \beta x2) - (\alpha y1 + \beta y2 ), \alpha y1 + \beta y2)= (\alpha x1-\alpha y1+ \beta x2- \beta y2, \alpha y1+ \beta y2) = (\alpha (x1- y1)+ \beta(x2- y2), \alpha y1+ \beta y2)= (\alpha (x1- y1), \alpha y1)+ (\beta(x2- y2), \beta y2)= \alpha(x1- y1, y1)+ \beta(x2- y2, y2).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    = \alpha(x1- y1, y1)+ \beta(x2- y2, y2)[/tex].
    How would you get from this step to \alpha S(x1, y1) + \beta S(x2,y2)? (I didnt understand this part while looking at the answer in my notes).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,580
    Thanks
    1418
    Quote Originally Posted by SyNtHeSiS View Post
    How would you get from this step to \alpha S(x1, y1) + \beta S(x2,y2)? (I didnt understand this part while looking at the answer in my notes).
    \alpha(x1- y1, y1)+ \beta(x2-y2, y2)= \alpha S(x1, y1)+ \beta S(x2, y2)

    Well, you are told that S(x1, y1)= (x1- y1, y1) and S(x2, y2)= (x2- y2, y2), aren't you?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Linear Maps
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 15th 2009, 09:27 AM
  2. Linear Maps
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 1st 2009, 11:14 PM
  3. Linear maps
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 27th 2008, 03:25 AM
  4. Linear maps. Proving its linear, and describing kernal.
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 20th 2008, 12:46 AM
  5. linear maps
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 9th 2008, 09:01 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum