Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Vector space axiom

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    28

    Vector space axiom

    If anyone could explain how the following linear algebra problem is done, it would be greatly appreciated as I am studying for a test!

    Here is a vector space candidate. We have as our set R^2, as our vector addition x oplus y = (x_1, x_2) oplus (y_1, y_2) = (x_1 y_2, x_2 y_2), and as our scalar multiplication a cdot x = a cdot (x_1, x_2) = (a + x_1, a + x_2).


    Verify the following vector space axiom:

    There exists an element 0 such that for any x in the proposed vector space, x oplus 0 = x = 0 oplus x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by faure72 View Post
    our vector addition x oplus y = (x_1, x_2) oplus (y_1, y_2) = (x_1 y_2, x_2 y_2), and as
    are you sure it shouldn't be <x1, x2> + <y1, y2> = <x1*y1, x2*y2> ? otherwise, it doesn't work out nicely
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhevon View Post
    are you sure it shouldn't be <x1, x2> + <y1, y2> = <x1*y1, x2*y2> ? otherwise, it doesn't work out nicely
    The <x1*y1, x2*y2> is what it's supposed to be. Sorry, forgot to include that multiplication symbol in there so I can see why it came off as unclear. The addition symbol is the vector addition symbol, though (the circle with the plus sign in it).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by faure72 View Post
    If anyone could explain how the following linear algebra problem is done, it would be greatly appreciated as I am studying for a test!

    Here is a vector space candidate. We have as our set R^2, as our vector addition x oplus y = (x_1, x_2) oplus (y_1, y_2) = (x_1 y_2, x_2 y_2), and as our scalar multiplication a cdot x = a cdot (x_1, x_2) = (a + x_1, a + x_2).


    Verify the following vector space axiom:

    There exists an element 0 such that for any x in the proposed vector space, x oplus 0 = x = 0 oplus x.


    EDIT: The <x1*y1, x2*y2> is what it's supposed to be. Sorry, forgot to include that multiplication symbol in there so I can see why it came off as unclear. The addition symbol is the vector addition symbol, though (the circle with the plus sign in it).
    ok, now what this question is asking for is the zero vector for this vector space. thus we want to find some element called 0 such that:

    <x1, x2> + 0 = 0 + <x1, x2> = <x1, x2>

    let the zero vector be <a,b>

    we want <a,b> + <x1,x2> = <x1, x2>

    now, <a,b> + <x1, x2> = <a*x1, b*x2>

    for <a*x1, b*x2> = <x1, x2> we must have,

    a*x1 = x1
    => a = 1

    and b*x2 = x2
    => b = 1

    so our zero vector is <1, 1>

    check the other way,
    <x1, x2> + <1, 1> = <x1*1, x2*1> = <x1,x2>

    thus our element zero is <1,1> for this vector space
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Vector Space Axiom Proof
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 13th 2011, 04:01 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 1st 2011, 02:40 AM
  3. Banach space with infinite vector space basis?
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 24th 2011, 06:23 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 17th 2010, 02:54 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: July 23rd 2010, 11:46 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum