Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Discriminant

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor chiph588@'s Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Champaign, Illinois
    Posts
    1,163

    Discriminant

    Consider  f(x)\in F[x] . Define its discriminant to be  D=\prod_{i<j}(\alpha_i-\alpha_j)^2 , where  \alpha_i are the roots of  f(x) in its splitting field  K .

    I'm having trouble seeing why  D\in F . I know it has to do with symmetric functions, but for some reason I can't quite see it. I think I'm missing something small here.

    Thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph588@ View Post
    Consider  f(x)\in F[x] . Define its discriminant to be  D=\prod_{i<j}(\alpha_i-\alpha_j)^2 , where  \alpha_i are the roots of  f(x) in its splitting field  K .

    I'm having trouble seeing why  D\in F . I know it has to do with symmetric functions, but for some reason I can't quite see it. I think I'm missing something small here.

    Thanks!

    Hmmm...it's not hard but it's not easy, either: if you know that the resultant of f(x) is in F and that the discriminant of f(x) is the resultant times some power of the leading coefficient of f(x) times (-1) to some power then we're done, otherwise we can try:

    1) The discriminat is a symmetric function on the roots of f(x) (this is trivial)

    2) If s_1,...,s_n are the symmetric pol's on the roots of f(x), then any symmetric pol. on these roots is in F[s_1,...,s_n] = the ring of pol's on s_1,...,s_n.

    Of course, the problem is 2 and its proof isn't immediate (and I can't remember it right now, but some book must have it). I think the trick was about partial ordering the pol's in n variables in some way.

    Try to work on this, and I'll try to make some time to consult some books.

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor chiph588@'s Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Champaign, Illinois
    Posts
    1,163
    How about this:

    As you said,  D is symmetric in the roots of  f(x) , so  D is fixed by all automorphisms of the Galois group of  f(x) .

    This implies  D \in F since  F is the fixed field of  \text{Gal}(K/F) .

    (We know  F is the fixed field of  \text{Gal}(K/F) since  [K:F]=|\text{Gal}(K/F)| , so by the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory we get what we want.)
    Last edited by chiph588@; March 30th 2010 at 11:01 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph588@ View Post
    How about this:

    As you said,  D is symmetric in the roots of  f(x) , so  D is fixed by all automorphisms of the Galois group of  f(x) .

    This implies  D \in F since  F is the fixed field of  \text{Gal}(K/F) .

    (We know  F is the fixed field of  \text{Gal}(K/F) since  [K:F]=|\text{Gal}(K/F)| , so by the Fundamental Theorem of Galois Theory we get what we want.)

    Excellent! I didn't even remember to mention Galois Theory because I tried to make it easier, but if you can deal with that then it's way
    easier and short...and elegant, imo.

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor chiph588@'s Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    From
    Champaign, Illinois
    Posts
    1,163
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Excellent! I didn't even remember to mention Galois Theory because I tried to make it easier, but if you can deal with that then it's way
    easier and short...and elegant, imo.

    Tonio
    Yeah, the 'simple' thing I was forgetting was that  D was symmetric with respect to  \alpha_i .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. discriminant
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 22nd 2009, 07:46 AM
  2. Discriminant
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: August 16th 2009, 02:28 PM
  3. Discriminant
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 22nd 2009, 10:59 PM
  4. Discriminant
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 23rd 2008, 08:07 AM
  5. discriminant?!!!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 25th 2006, 01:44 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum