Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - polynomial rings

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6

    polynomial rings

    hey there.

    i'm so confused on how to do this problem the way it is supposed to be done.

    For what integers a does x^2 + x + 1 divide x^4 + 3x^3 + x^2 + 6x + 10 in ( \mathbb{Z} /a \mathbb{Z} )[x].

    i know how to test for a\in \mathbb{Z}. reduce all the coefficents to fit in \mathbb{Z} /a \mathbb{Z} and use the division algorithm to test whether it is a zero.

    but how in the world do i do it for the general case?

    id start with doing it with a=1,2,... until i found some sort of pattern with primes or something. but its finals time right now, and i have no time for that kind of exhaustive calculating for a homework prob. i just know there's gotta be a better way.

    please help!!

    thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird View Post
    hey there.

    i'm so confused on how to do this problem the way it is supposed to be done.

    For what integers a does x^2 + x + 1 divide x^4 + 3x^3 + x^2 + 6x + 10 in ( \mathbb{Z} /a \mathbb{Z} )[x].

    i know how to test for a\in \mathbb{Z}. reduce all the coefficents to fit in \mathbb{Z} /a \mathbb{Z} and use the division algorithm to test whether it is a zero.

    but how in the world do i do it for the general case?

    id start with doing it with a=1,2,... until i found some sort of pattern with primes or something. but its finals time right now, and i have no time for that kind of exhaustive calculating for a homework prob. i just know there's gotta be a better way.

    please help!!

    thanks!
    Divide x^4 + 3x^3 + x^2 + 6x + 10 by x^2 + x + 1 . The residue is 6x+12 and it MUST be zero, so....what has a to be??

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Divide x^4 + 3x^3 + x^2 + 6x + 10 by x^2 + x + 1 . The residue is 6x+12 and it MUST be zero, so....what has a to be??

    Tonio
    a=-2?

    that doesn't seem right. i guessed i missed something?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird View Post
    a=-2?

    that doesn't seem right. i guessed i missed something?

    Your guess right: you're missing a lot. You've to find a so that the division is possible in the RING \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}[x] of polynomials over THE FINITE ring (or field) \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}...

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Your guess right: you're missing a lot. You've to find a so that the division is possible in the RING \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}[x] of polynomials over THE FINITE ring (or field) \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}...

    Tonio
    alright...so i'm a 100% lost.

    my pathetic attempt:

    6x + 12 must be 0.

    so, im thinking that 'plug a into x, so that once the equation is solved i can then reduce the final value to fit in \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}[x]'

    i ran over a bunch in my head, and if what i said above is right, then factors of 12 = a

    so, a = 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12

    (the math to my argument for a=6 -- a=x so (6)(6) + 12 = 48, but 48 must live in \mathbb{Z}\slash 6\mathbb{Z}[x] which is 0, voila)

    ?? right track ??
    Last edited by tbird; December 12th 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: put the wrong thing, kinda important
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird View Post
    alright...so i'm a 100% lost.

    my pathetic attempt:

    6x + 12 must be 0.

    so, im thinking that 'plug a into x, so that once the equation is solved i can then reduce the final value to fit in \mathbb{Z}\slash a\mathbb{Z}[x]'

    i ran over a bunch in my head, and if what i said above is right, then factors of 12 = a

    so, a = 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12

    (the math to my argument for a=6 -- a=x so (6)(6) + 12 = 48, but 48 must live in \mathbb{Z}\slash 6\mathbb{Z}[x] which is 0, voila)

    ?? right track ??

    Yessir...now, if you people are only interested in fields (so that, for example, the polynomial ring over it will have nice properties like no zero-divisors and stuff) then you'll have to choose only the prime factors of 12...

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Yessir...now, if you people are only interested in fields (so that, for example, the polynomial ring over it will have nice properties like no zero-divisors and stuff) then you'll have to choose only the prime factors of 12...

    Tonio
    Aaahhh!! I see.

    You just put so much together for me by throwing that fact in there about fields. The light bulb just got brighter. Maybe I wasn't so lost...

    Thanks for all your help!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Polynomial rings
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 29th 2009, 09:13 AM
  2. Polynomial Rings
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 10th 2009, 09:57 PM
  3. Polynomial Rings
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 8th 2009, 10:41 PM
  4. polynomial rings
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 28th 2009, 09:42 PM
  5. polynomial rings
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 11th 2009, 03:20 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum